• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an audit be done on how SSDI dependent pay is spent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbw5147

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I live in Colorado, but my 3 oldest children live in Louisiana with their Dad. From December through April, he received approximately $21,000 in back dependant pay for my children. I have been in close touch with his immediate family, as of late, because they are very concerned about my kids. They are ages 15, 13, and 11. Their stepmom is a raging alcoholic. Witnessed, documented, all of it. Now there are big allegations of her being addicted to cocaine. Their have been multiple domestic violence calls to their home. They have both been arrested several times for this. According to my ex's family, he is terrified and intimidated by his wife. She goes as far as to tell my 11 year old that her Dad is not her "real Dad." Absolutely not a shot in hell that that is true. I even offered to pay for a DNA test, just so that she would stop. Of course they said that wasn't necessary. Sad thing is that there Dad doesn't even defend or protect them from her.

There is absolutely NOTHING to show that any of this money was spent on the kids, as it is legally supposed to be used for their care. I've been told that he can't even put gas in the car. I spoke to my 15 year old daughter. There were no clothes bought for them... not even school clothes, no trips, no new cars, absolutely NOTHING that can show where a penny of this went towards their care. No college funds. Nothing. There cell phones have been turned off, while their step sister (SM's daughter) does have a phone. She doesn't receive child support from her ex, as he is in prison for NOT paying child support. My kids receive dependent pay every month and I'm just at a loss. I did call CPS 2 days ago. Their have been physical altercations between my 15 year old and SM (which physical violence is NEVER acceptable to me), but Dad just stands there and does nothing to defend or protect his daughter. I'm at a loss. I would like to know if this $21,000 could be audited and also, if another payee, such as my sister, who is a CPA and lives near them, could be replaced as that. I would call Social Security right now, but it's too late. I'm just wondering if I could get any answers at all before I contact them.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I live in Colorado, but my 3 oldest children live in Louisiana with their Dad. From December through April, he received approximately $21,000 in back dependant pay for my children. I have been in close touch with his immediate family, as of late, because they are very concerned about my kids. They are ages 15, 13, and 11. Their stepmom is a raging alcoholic. Witnessed, documented, all of it. Now there are big allegations of her being addicted to cocaine. Their have been multiple domestic violence calls to their home. They have both been arrested several times for this. According to my ex's family, he is terrified and intimidated by his wife. She goes as far as to tell my 11 year old that her Dad is not her "real Dad." Absolutely not a shot in hell that that is true. I even offered to pay for a DNA test, just so that she would stop. Of course they said that wasn't necessary. Sad thing is that there Dad doesn't even defend or protect them from her.

There is absolutely NOTHING to show that any of this money was spent on the kids, as it is legally supposed to be used for their care. I've been told that he can't even put gas in the car. I spoke to my 15 year old daughter. There were no clothes bought for them... not even school clothes, no trips, no new cars, absolutely NOTHING that can show where a penny of this went towards their care. No college funds. Nothing. There cell phones have been turned off, while their step sister (SM's daughter) does have a phone. She doesn't receive child support from her ex, as he is in prison for NOT paying child support. My kids receive dependent pay every month and I'm just at a loss. I did call CPS 2 days ago. Their have been physical altercations between my 15 year old and SM (which physical violence is NEVER acceptable to me), but Dad just stands there and does nothing to defend or protect his daughter. I'm at a loss. I would like to know if this $21,000 could be audited and also, if another payee, such as my sister, who is a CPA and lives near them, could be replaced as that. I would call Social Security right now, but it's too late. I'm just wondering if I could get any answers at all before I contact them.
There would be no such audits .

Someone else could apply to be payee of course ,but if it would be granted is another story .

If CPS finds neglect that would be a good reason .If not then there's not a whole lot anyone can do at this point .

As long as the children are housed ,clothed ,fed and otherwise clean .

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
There would be no such audits .

Someone else could apply to be payee of course ,but if it would be granted is another story .

If CPS finds neglect that would be a good reason .If not then there's not a whole lot anyone can do at this point .

As long as the children are housed ,clothed ,fed and otherwise clean .
But the rep payee has to fill out a form every year, answering questions about the dependent benefits. Not sure how SSA'd handle it not being filled out in an appropriate amount of time. :cool:

BL

But the rep payee has to fill out a form every year, answering questions about the dependent benefits. Not sure how SSA'd handle it not being filled out in an appropriate amount of time. :cool:
True. I was a Rep. Payee .

I've also seen what has happened with Rep. Payees that were accused of just using some of the benificiary's funds theirselves ( Nothing ) .

The periodic forms are basics . I was never asked for a detail of accual spendings .

Not to say SSA might not end up asking the payee to provide them all . If that's what one would call an audit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">