• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an insurance company revoke an already issued policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is one question about other drivers, but it doesn't say in the household.
On the drivers page, there is a link on the right that answers the question "Who do I need to include". It is pretty clear on that point.

In your policy exclusions, you will find information about non-owned vehicles. Also, in your policy documents, you will find information that allows them to rescind the policy if the information you gave is not substantially correct.

turtle

Thanks again. I am not sure what forms you are talking about, but I'm sure I will find out. I am going to let them come to me, in writing only, and see what they have to say for themselves. I still maintain that I answered the questions on the online form correctly; if there are hidden linked clauses next to misleading statements, well, it is pretty sleazy. And there are cases I read about where deliberate attempts to usher in customers with vague questions was ruled in favor of the insured because it is done so in order for them not to honor a claim.

I will take this to court I suppose though I hardly have the time, energy, or resources to do so. Too much is at stake. I would then be uninsurable and uninsured so would lose my license. That means I would have to radically alter my future. It isn't about money. It's the effects and the principle.

Zigner

It's the effects and the principle.
I understand that's how you feel. However, from my viewpoint - this was a situation that YOU brought on yourself. I'll say it again, I don't think you *intentionally* did anything wrong...but that doesn't mean you didn't do anything wrong.

Good luck.

turtle

Thanks again for responding. I appreciate your time and energy.

I admit that I am very naive and inexperienced in matters such as these so I can accept that I didn't understand properly. But I still feel taken advantage of. I mean do you have to be a lawyer to take out an insurance policy? Suspecting that none of the questions are as they seem and looking for hidden clauses in the fine print. Jeepers.

I feel nothing but screwed. And I haven't slept or eaten in 2 days so I am going to try to forget this for a little while, if I can.

tammy8

I hope you are able to get this worked out.

I do want to point out though, that is is assumed that the registered owner will drive the vehicle. Why would the car NOT be driven by the true owner.

tammy8

Oh and I hope from now on, you will use a real live agent from now on. One that can answer questions and explain the procedure.

turtle

Just to let those of you who helped me know, the insurance company is now behaving as if there is no problem with the claim at all. I am quite certain they investigated a bit, but not sure to what extent.

Anyway, it looks like I am not going to lose all and that the issues raised here were not issues for them at least. I must say that the statements here got me very scared, but it turns out that none of them actually apply.

Zigner

Just to let those of you who helped me know, the insurance company is now behaving as if there is no problem with the claim at all. I am quite certain they investigated a bit, but not sure to what extent.

Anyway, it looks like I am not going to lose all and that the issues raised here were not issues for them at least. I must say that the statements here got me very scared, but it turns out that none of them actually apply.
Great! Glad it's working out for you.

ecmst12

Nobody said they WOULD cancel the policy. Only that they COULD, and that they had the right to investigate to see if the policy was issued in error or incorrectly. Definitely glad that everything turned out ok!

moburkes

I'm here to save the day, and I'm glad the OP changed his attitude. In any case, the answers that were given were accurate, except that, in the vast majority of situations, the claim is paid, and then the policy is cancelled. The policy is rarely cancelled for material misrepresentation without the claim being paid.

So, you didn't need me after all. The insurance agent and adjuster answered properly - as if you all needed ME to tell you that! LOL!

Happy Holidays to all!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">