• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can anyone hire a debt collection agency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woodsz

Hi,

If a friend owes me money and there is no contract, can I hire a debt collection agency to collect the debt?

What are the requirements to hire a debt collector?

Thank you in advance,

PayrollHRGuy

That would be up to the collection agency. But unless it is a significant amount you are going to have a hard time finding one that will take it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Would I have to go to his county to file a claim? He resides in a other state. Would it be cheaper to just hire a debt collector though?
I seriously doubt any debt collector would even accept the claim.

PayrollHRGuy

Would I have to go to his county to file a claim? He resides in a other state. Would it be cheaper to just hire a debt collector though?
A debt collector isn't going to take a single, $600 debt with not supporting contract or even proof of the debt for collection and if they did they would spend about 30 seconds on it.

Yes, you would likely have to his state. But since you don't have any proof of the debt it probably isn't worth it.

Think of it as $600 tuition in the school of hard knocks. I'll bet you don't make this sort of mistake again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If I ever loan money to a friend or relative, I mentally consider it a gift and am pleasantly surprised when/if they repay it. Also, if I can't afford for the money to be gone forever, I don't do it.

woodsz

If I ever loan money to a friend or relative, I mentally consider it a gift and am pleasantly surprised when/if they repay it. Also, if I can't afford for the money to be gone forever, I don't do it.
Yeah, you're right. Thanks a lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">