• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can debt be transferred to ex-husband?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sara Abrams

In an earlier thread, Sara posted about concerns of losing her house if she filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. She wants to keep her house.

California has two different Chapter 7 exemptions for houses and it is possible that Sara’s attorney said neither exemption would save the house.

despritfreya (bankruptcy attorney) suggested to Sara the possibility of a Chapter 13 filing - but maybe that was investigated and is not possible either (for some reason)? That is my only guess.
My attorney doesn't practice bankruptcy law. She won't comment on it other than when she said to hold off on it because she thought she could put it all in his name. I already have all the bankruptcy paperwork filled out and ready to go. I see no other options at this point. I will talk to her first. Thank you all.

quincy

My attorney doesn't practice bankruptcy law. She won't comment on it other than when she said to hold off on it because she thought she could put it all in his name. I already have all the bankruptcy paperwork filled out and ready to go. I see no other options at this point. I will talk to her first. Thank you all.
Thank you for the additional information.

We all appreciate the thanks, Sara, so thank you.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">