• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can emailing random colleagues with private details of my kid land me in trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What could the Dean do? Well, the Dean could advocate for me, something like "your father LOVES you and was not wrong in going through your cellphone when you were 12 when you were being romantically pursued by a potential lover. That's what fathers do, they look out for their little girls!"
Oooorrr... "your father was a tad obsessed with his baby girl growing up because a 13yo boy was texting her." Seriously - it all depends on the circumstances.

And still - you're blaming it all on Mom. Did she have custody? Did you talk to her about this "potential lover" with her?

What else did you do? Because this isn't all about going through her phone at 12, is it...

quincy

… What could the Dean do? Well, the Dean could advocate for me, something like "your father LOVES you and was not wrong in going through your cellphone when you were 12 …

… She thinks I hated her and abused her …
The Dean is in absolutely no position to advocate for you and he could open himself and the school up to legal action should he attempt to do so. He does not know you.

Quite frankly from your postings here, your words and actions appear abusive and indicate that you care more about yourself than your daughter. Let your daughter decide if or when she wants contact. She is an adult and this is not your call.

commentator

Your story is full of strange holes and omissions. You have such a vibe of "I must have what I want right now, for myself, the way I want it!" And frankly, even without some of this history I'd be running from you like a rabbit if I were your daughter, AND the dean! If your daughter at some time in her life, decides to give you another chance, that's the best you'll have to look forward to. Otherwise, you're just making her run more diligently. You sound like a bully who is not getting his way and cannot accept it.

If you chased her down (with or without the assistance of the dean) and dragged her into a room against her will, sat her down and made her read this psychological forensic report, etc. do you think she'd suddenly say, "Oh gosh, I see the light! I was wrong! Let's make up!"??? Noo!

You need some serious counseling to help you get a more realistic picture of the persona you are presenting and the reality of your parenting situation. The whole thing of "if I do not catch her before she gets out of school, I will lose all with her!" reeks of very unhealthy thinking.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
From your own postings it strikes me that you've tried way too hard to push yourself into her life, and that doesn't have the effect you want. That kind of thing tends to repel people, not bring them closer. I don't doubt the mom has told your daughter a string of negative things about you, whether true or not, as that isn't terribly uncommon when people split up. However, I think it quite likely that you have also built up an unrealistic picture of what mom has done. That too isn't unusual when a couple splits. She won't have put your daughter in any witness protection protection program because this is not the kind of thing that witness protection programs are for and at this point, that's not for the mother decide even if it were an option. Your daughter is an adult in college. She can think for herself and decide for herself what she wants. She doesn't have to do everything her mother tells her to do. If your daugther is like most college kids, she'll want to assert her independence from her mother and won't do everything her mother wants her to do.

Your high pressure tactics only gives the mother more negative things to tell your daughter. Your daughter is now an adult and it's up to her to decide when, or if, she wants to pursue a relationship with you. That's hard to accept, I'm sure, but at this point it's better to back off rather than continuing to put on the pressure on her, her mom, the dean, or anyone else she may have contact with. Whether you like to hear this or not, the reality is that what you've described in your posts would make me concerned if I were in your daughter's shoes. Love is not forced, and it isn't all on your terms or nothing. Sometimes you have to accept that the object of your love doesn't feel the same way and won't reciprocate. Your determined efforts are not getting you the results you seek, and there is no reason to think that continuing the same path will get you different results. If there is any chance at this point to form a relationship, it'll have to come from her.

If the dean were to go to your daughter and tell you that you contacted him/her to encourage her to meet with you, that won't have the intended effect. That would push her away and help validate negative things her mom may have told her about you. It would also be embarrassing for her. So even if the dean might be willing to do it (and I think it very unlikely) it will more likely push her away even more rather than bring her closer to you.

I suggest you not destroy whatever chance there is of a relationship by continuing that path. That path also serves to destroy you, too. Obsession in pursuing anything isn't mentally healthy. You are spending a lot of emotional energy and time on this. For now, I suggest you direct that effort to improving your own life. It'll be good for you, and it will put you in a better place should your daughter decide to reach out and contact you at some point.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">