• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employees of Nyc public schools really do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pinkie39

I can't get past this.

A 13 year old boy who doesn't have the spine to say no to that kind of request?
And lots of adult women (and men) are raped, sexually harassed or abused by strangers or partners. It doesn't mean they don't have the "spine" to say no.

FarmerJ

Mandated reporters ( the school staff ) are only reporters not trained investigators , Unless it is a school nurse ( do they even have them any more on duty during school hours? ) who is treating a injury or evaluating a injury I too feel the school staff over stepped here , Mandated reporter laws excuse reporters who in good faith make reports to other agencies such as a county.

commentator

Less hands-on nurses, more "talking about it" school counselors. Which is why I'd SURE check out this story further before I hired that attorney. Because a 13 year old might think this would be how something would be likely to happen, but honest to goodness, I find it hard to believe without verifying there's some reason for this to have gone down exactly as it reportedly did.

LdiJ

Bottom line, for me? The fact that anyone at all decided that they needed to see my child's genitalia without a court order, is incredibly disturbing. It doesn't matter what the background or details are as far as I am concerned.

However again, I don't believe that they first step is getting the police involved. I think that the first step is going above the principal.

quincy

I would not assume that there was no embellishment on the part of my child.
Agree. I think it would be a mistake for a parent to not gather more facts before leveling accusations against anyone. The son's story is a starting point for an investigation only and should not be treated as the conclusion.

LdiJ

Agree. I think it would be a mistake for a parent to not gather more facts before leveling accusations against anyone. The son's story is a starting point for an investigation only and should not be treated as the conclusion.
Yes, there should be an investigation but those who are going to investigate cannot be the principal. That is why I said go to the principal's boss.

quincy

Yes, there should be an investigation but those who are going to investigate cannot be the principal. That is why I said go to the principal's boss.
Actually, speaking with the ones said to be involved with the strip search would have been a good first step for the parent to take after the son reported the incident.

That said, no one from the school is likely to talk to the parent freely at this point, especially if the parent has implied in any way that the search was illegal.

Fact gathering might have to be left to professionals.

LdiJ

Actually, speaking with the ones said to be involved with the strip search would have been a good first step for the parent to take after the son reported the incident.

That said, no one from the school is likely to talk to the parent freely at this point, especially if the parent has implied in any way that the search was illegal.

Fact gathering might have to be left to professionals.
I would suspect that no one from the school would talk to the parent if there was any concern opined from the parent at all about the strip search. That is why I feel that the concern needs to be expressed to the principal's boss.

quincy

I would suspect that no one from the school would talk to the parent if there was any concern opined from the parent at all about the strip search. That is why I feel that the concern needs to be expressed to the principal's boss.
Whatever.

Dandy Don

The school never notified you about their concerns? In a reasonable tone of voice, let the school know that this appears to be inappropriate behavior and that the next time they have concerns about abuse they should report it to child protective services. And send a letter of complaint to the school board so they can develop an official policy about this if one has not already been put in place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">