• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can FL State Attorney charge 21 yr old boyfriend with rape of 15 yr old girlfriend if pregnant and they get married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Up until recently in Florida, old men could marry young girls with the blessing of the parents and the State. Pregnant girls could marry the old men who impregnated (raped) them.

The law has now changed to protect children from adults who rape them and who used to escape rape charges with a marriage certificate.

It is a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, the law does little to undo the harm already caused. Both the 15 year old and her baby will have struggles ahead even with supportive family.

It's not a happy situation.

HRZ

I seem to recall a FL case where DA used well acknowledged pregnancy term to prove time of intercourse was inside statutory rape period even though girl refused to testify .

HRZ

Unfortunately the best interests of the yet to be born child don't seem to be a major factor in this crime.

HRZ

As far as I know the girls parents are required to support her until her majority or emancipation ...I'm not suggesting they are trying to duck same by getting her married , merely they may have motive to do so ....had FL law not changed recently to inhibit such wacky ducking a bullet by older rapist. (Of either sex)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">