• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I ask the police to carry out an investigation to know if a profile is fake and they are using photos of a minor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I am the one who posted the questions, I forgot my email. There are some photos of that girl in underwear. Then, will the police investigate the profile although I am not sure she is a minor?
Will the police investigate? Maybe.

It wouldn’t hurt for you to report the photos and let the police decide if an investigation is warranted. If you have questions about the age of the person appearing in the photos, the police very well could, too.

zddoodah

There are some photos of that girl in underwear. Then, will the police investigate the profile although I am not sure she is a minor?
As should have been obvious from my prior response, no one here can possibly know whether one of the hundreds of police departments in Florida might investigate the matter at hand. Want to know if the cops will investigate? Ask them.

quincy

A report to the police will give the police the chance to determine if there is anything worth investigating, at any rate.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am the one who posted the questions, I forgot my email. There are some photos of that girl in underwear. Then, will the police investigate the profile although I am not sure she is a minor?
A photo of a girl in underwear, even if she's underaged isn't, in and of itself, obscene or illegal. I think the chances of it being investigated are Slim to none...and Slim is in the far off distance...

quincy

A photo of a girl in underwear, even if she's underaged isn't, in and of itself, obscene or illegal. I think the chances of it being investigated are Slim to none...and Slim is in the far off distance...
Without seeing the photos, it is hard to guess at what the police will do. It could depend not only on the photos but on which “social media site” the photos appear.

Just Blue

Call your local FBI office: https://www.fbi.gov/@@search?SearchableText=florida&searchHelpText=To+narrow+your+search,+select+a+content+type+option+listed+under+“More.”+To+broaden+your+search+to+other+FBI+sites,+select+a+subdomain+listed+under+“Source.”&pageSize=20&page=1&sort_on=&sort_order=descending&after=

Ask for a Special Agent in Cyber Crimes. Once you get the SA on the phone tell her/him of your concerns and ask to e-mail a link to the questionable profile.

In my opinion contacting the FBI is a more fitting LEO to contact because the potential crime is via the internet.

quincy

Call your local FBI office: https://www.fbi.gov/@@search?SearchableText=florida&searchHelpText=To+narrow+your+search,+select+a+content+type+option+listed+under+“More.”+To+broaden+your+search+to+other+FBI+sites,+select+a+subdomain+listed+under+“Source.”&pageSize=20&page=1&sort_on=&sort_order=descending&after=

Ask for a Special Agent in Cyber Crimes. Once you get the SA on the phone tell her/him of your concerns and ask to e-mail a link to the questionable profile.

In my opinion contacting the FBI is a more fitting LEO to contact because the potential crime is via the internet.
Usually a police department will forward internet crimes to the State’s Internet crime unit anyway.

Just Blue

If it were me I would go with the FBI over Florida LEO. But in the end as long as someone checks it out to make sure that nothing shady is going on is what matters. :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Speaking from experience:

OP needs to be aware that she will likely never know the results of her report. The police and/or FBI will not report back to her what action, if any, was taken as a result of their investigation, if any.

quincy

Speaking from experience:

OP needs to be aware that she will likely never know the results of her report. The police and/or FBI will not report back to her what action, if any, was taken as a result of their investigation, if any.
A good clue for leslygnzl will be the disappearance from the social media site of the publisher’s content, though.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That might indicate that an investigation was done. But if the OP is hoping, and it really, really, really does come across this way to me, that she will get to witness someone (an ex? An ex's new girlfriend?) taken off to jail or whatever, I believe she is doomed to disappointment.

quincy

That might indicate that an investigation was done. But if the OP is hoping, and it really, really, really does come across this way to me, that she will get to witness someone (an ex? An ex's new girlfriend?) taken off to jail or whatever, I believe she is doomed to disappointment.
Yes. That is unlikely to happen.

Again, it could depend on the social media site where the photos appear. If the site is one that has been under investigation already, it potentially could make the news. Unlikely, of course, but not outside the realm of all that is possible. :)

commentator

Friend of a friend who works in a small rural area as a dispatcher. Says the number one call they get is people who complain that they are being bulled or misrepresented on social media. Says he has said, "Block and ignore" so many times he is tired of it. No, very likely the police don't want to hear about it.

You know why you're interested is to intimidate somebody, you probably tell the profile you're investigating them and then tell some loser to do that, too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">