• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be legally held responsible for property damage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aria4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was at a small party and I opened a bottle of champagne in the kitchen of the home I was visiting. There was a laptop open in the vicinity of the kitchen and the champagne sprayed all over the laptop by accident. The owner of the laptop says I am at fault and wants me to pay for a new one since the laptop was ruined by the champagne. I feel the laptop should not have been left open in such a vulnerable place. Can I be legally held responsible if sued in court?
I happened to be the one opening it, but anyone could have opened a bottle with similar results. Where can I research this type of law? Thank you in advance for any feedback.

sandyclaus

Duplicate post. Please keep all of your posts under the same thread. No need to duplicate and put it in two different sections.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">