• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be told to not use a bathroom in the house that I am renting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcchiefs316

I am a resident in Kansas. My landlord and his wife decided to show up from out of town randomly this weekend and stay at my house. The wife went to take a shower, and it was a little bit dirty from me showering in it. She made a big fuss about it, and told me that I can't use that particular bathroom in the house anymore. Is she legally able to do that?

justalayman

is that meaning you rent a room in their house and (hopefully) access to some areas of the house such as a bathroom and the kitchen?

Do you have a written rental agreement/lease? If so, what does it say as to what you have rights to access to in the house?

kcchiefs316

Yeah when I first moved in, they verbally stated that I have free reign to any part of the house. They didn't have me sign a lease agreement either.

justalayman

well, since you do not have a written agreement stating otherwise, they have modified the terms of your tenancy so, yes, they can prohibit you from using the particular bathroom. If you do not agree, you can give proper notice to terminate your tenancy and move on down the road.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">