• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I break my lease? Crazy LL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lluvlyr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

To put it lightly, my LL are complete nightmares. They have done everything from let themselves into my apartment while my toddler and I were sleeping at 5a.m. (without prior notice or even ringing my bell), not fixing a terrible leaking roof (considered an essential repair that I could have call building inspector on them - gaping hole in my bathroom ceiling from water damage for over 8 months), they even threatened to evict me because I claimed my rent on my taxes and refused to lie for them (they are involved in some insurance or IRS scam that claims her husband lives in my unit) - mind you I have a signed lease, so these people are just dumb.

So LL have always been crazy, but they put the house I live in up for sale in the Spring. Realtors are constantly coming in and out (some let themselves in without knocking or ringing bell - unbelievable) and completely disrupting our lives. LL is asking WAY too much money for the house and it needs a lot of work so it is not selling. They are blaming me as a tenant saying I am slandering them to potential buyers, keeping the attic cluttered so the house doesn't show well (meanwhile my stuff is kept piled neatly in boxes in one small corner) and also claiming that my rent is too low and turning off potential buyers. Needless to say I have had enough.

I have been living in the apartment for almost 5 years. I have a lease for another year (August 2015) - I signed a 2 year extension last year because I did not want to uproot my daughter. I've recently put my foot down with my LL regarding times for showing (nothing after 7 p.m. and at least 24 hrs notice) and they flew off the handle. They have told me multiple times over the phone, via text messages and even in e-mail that they want me to leave and will gladly refund my security deposit if I just go and give them ample notice before I leave.

Today they have changed their tune, probably realizing that no one is going to rent an apartment in a house with a FOR SALE sign in front of it and have threatened me that if I do leave they will charge me back rent through the end of my lease.

My (long winded) question is - is the written proof that they have asked me to leave and told me I could enough in the eyes of the law? Or do I have to stick it out and stay until the end of my lease next year? Also, the wife sent me these messages but technically her husband signed the lease. However, I only deal with her on anything and everything to do with the apartment.

Thank you in advance for your help!

STEPHAN

No - that would not be enough to just move out.

However, your LL is doing things that you do not have to accept.

But why do you not just negotiate a deal with them in writing? I would even offer them that you would move on a cash for keys deal.

lluvlyr

No - that would not be enough to just move out.

However, your LL is doing things that you do not have to accept.

But why do you not just negotiate a deal with them in writing? I would even offer them that you would move on a cash for keys deal.
Thank you for your quick response Stephan.

Can you please elaborate on a cash for keys deal?

Also, do I have any rights as a tenant with a small child with regards to the sale of the house? If someone bought it tomorrow they could ask me to leave and it would be completely legal which I understand. But shouldn't I have the right to pre-emptively leave on my own accord instead of scrambling to find housing in the town I currently live in so I can keep my daughter in her school?

lluvlyr

If the house is sold your lease does not change!
You will have to excuse my complete and obvious lack of knowledge on the subject, but I was under the impression that the lease would be null and void if the house was sold. Does this mean that the lease would transfer lawfully to the new owner(s)? What if they were buying and also wanted to live there in one of the units, couldn't they then ask the tenant to leave? I also thought that if they wanted to live in one unit and have family members reside in another, they could lawfully ask the tenants in both units to leave. The house is a 2 family and my LL do not currently live on site.

STEPHAN

You said you singed a 2 year extension.

The new LL will not be able to get you out before the end of that.

STEPHAN

Can you please elaborate on a cash for keys deal?
Your LL wants you out. You want out. He does not need to know that. Offer him to be out by .... if he pays you $500 in addition to your security deposit at the time you give him the keys. Only give him the keys when you have the money.

lluvlyr

You said you singed a 2 year extension.

The new LL will not be able to get you out before the end of that.
I guess that is somewhat of a silver lining. I know that my current LL has no grounds to evict me as I am a model tenant - always pay on time (never late), apartment is always clean (I have a cleaning lady come bi-weekly), I keep the grounds clean and I am quiet and get along well with the downstairs tenant.

I was just hoping that I could get out before the year is up to separate myself from their drama and harassment. I understand that the law favors LL and because of that they are constantly threatening me with eviction to get me to comply with their ridiculous requests and demands. Guess I'll just have to stick it out for another year!

Thank you again for your advice/input.

lluvlyr

Your LL wants you out. You want out. He does not need to know that. Offer him to be out by .... if he pays you $500 in addition to your security deposit at the time you give him the keys. Only give him the keys when you have the money.
Understood. We'll see if LL will go for that but doubtful as they are highly irrational people.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I guess that is somewhat of a silver lining. I know that my current LL has no grounds to evict me as I am a model tenant - always pay on time (never late), apartment is always clean (I have a cleaning lady come bi-weekly), I keep the grounds clean and I am quiet and get along well with the downstairs tenant.

I was just hoping that I could get out before the year is up to separate myself from their drama and harassment. I understand that the law favors LL and because of that they are constantly threatening me with eviction to get me to comply with their ridiculous requests and demands. Guess I'll just have to stick it out for another year!

Thank you again for your advice/input.
The law does not "favor" landlords...

lluvlyr

When it works out how you want it to, then it favors you. When it works out how you don't want it to, then it favors them. Gotcha.
There are laws to protect LL from tenants who do not pay and who damage their property. I understand that the eviction process is lengthy and some tenants take advantage by not paying rent for that period of time or further damaging the rental unit. I understand that these laws were put into place to protect the LL's asset and I'm not saying they always work in the LL favor.

I am talking about a tenant, like myself, who does everything right. Truthfully and honestly I am a model tenant. The only reason they want me to leave is because I will no longer heal to them and push back because I've finally had and taken enough.

There are no laws in place to protect tenants from abusive landlords. I could have called a building inspector on them who would have just demanded they make a repair, I could have called the police when they let themselves into my apartment but it would have been their word against mine. I still have no legal right to leave the apartment without paying rent through the termination date of my lease even after all of their abuse and harassment. Which means they can make my life miserable - or more miserable - in the meantime. So instead, I have to keep living this nightmare. I don't expect for you to understand, but it is not a healthy environment for me or for my daughter. I do not feel safe in my own home, I may not own it, but it is my home - for now at least.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">