• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I change locks on a rented house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pigpen

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

my LL snoops around this house so much (she lives 2 houses down) i fear she enters when im not home (there was a time i was SURE i left the back door unlocked)...maybe this is paranoid but i plan to buy surveillance equipment and change the locks...are both of these actions legal since this is rented property?

also im NOT going to do this but i was just CURIOUS: what do you guys think is the likeliness one would get prosecuted for fatally shooting their LL for entering without permission, claiming the intruder's identity was not known until after the fact...and lets assume it couldn't be proven it was premeditated...dont worry im not going to kill my LL, just a hypothetical situation that occured to me...

abezon

Q1: You plan to do this after LL repairs all the things you listed in your other post? Surveillance equipment is fine. Changing the locks is dicey. Most states forbid it, but I didn't find anything to that effect in the MS Code online. If you do change the locks, you have to either reinstall the old locks or give LL the keys when you leave, whichever LL prefers. Be sure you document all the instances of LL entering your house illegally, that you filed trespass charges, etc. Better yet, when you file trespass charges and offer your surveillance tapes as proof, ask judge for a restraining order barring future entry without notice and consent, and for permission to change the locks.

Q2: what do you guys think is the likeliness one would get prosecuted for fatally shooting their LL for entering without permission

100%. And you'd be convicted after 2 hours of jury deliberations.

pigpen

abezon said:
Q1: You plan to do this after LL repairs all the things you listed in your other post?
im waiting to hear from the phone company about the results of their line test before i send a RRR letter with the list of problems, but i already have a feeling the LL's response will not be timely, so no i will probably have plenty of time (45 days before MS code allows repair and deduct) to install a camera, which is cool because I can view the maintenance if she does do it...locks dicey? well a camera will be good enough...thanks again.

Q2: 100%. And you'd be convicted after 2 hours of jury deliberations.
wow...even if premeditation was ruled out? i thought you had a right to use lethal force on an intruder...

FarmerJ

You know If you installed a inexpensive alarm system that wil sound a horn thats as loud as a air raid horn or better yet reports a unauthorised entry you know the police will show up and get the ID of any unauthorised person who enters see Your LL must give reasonable notice to enter the house for any NON emergency reason and doesnt have to provide notice for true emergency entry ( nat gas line leak and nbr calls the fire dept so LL can have plumber go in with no notice to repair the line ) and yes simple answer as other suggested a camera w recorder will provide proof too .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">