• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i do anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klc9100

You are still not getting it.

You seem to be under the assumption that because the official reason you were given for your termination was, excessive absences, that this means they are legally prohibited from saying anything else. That is incorrect.

Yes, the official reason you were given was excessive absences. However, YOU DID FAIL A DRUG TEST. Therefore, it is not false to say so, and it is questionable whether it is defamatory to say so.

You are wrong if you believe that the law prohibits them from saying anything except the on-the-record reason for your termination.
so you're saying what the seperation notice states is irrelevant? then what's the legal purpose of having one? why does the unemployement office require it?

you're saying you can say whatever you want about someone, even if it's not true, and it's OK? then what's the point of having slander laws, etc.? even though i still say i didn't "fail" a drug test, i'm not arguing that anymore. i'm saying it's a freakin' lie for them to say i was terminated for failing a drug test. i wasn't.

"fail" has a very negative conotation. i tested positive for a controlled substance, but how is that a "failure" if it's supposed to be there?

ALOT of people take ALOT of medecines and don't lose their jobs for failing drug tests. isn't that why the testing facility asks before you pee in the cup if you take any prescribed drugs? don't they do that to differentiate things that are supposed be in your system from things that aren't? if not, why do they bother asking you?

quincy

I believe, klc, that what everyone here is telling you is that you may (or may not) have been defamed, but that may not make much difference in what options are available or wise for you (financially and otherwise) to pursue.

However, we are basing our responses on, what, less than 30 lines of text posted by you? If you want a more thorough analysis of your situation and the possible legal avenues open for you to explore, you should consult with an attorney in Georgia. The attorney can delve deeper into the facts than we can here, perhaps even interview a witness or two.

But no one has said that it is okay to tell slanderous lies. It is just that in some cases, regrettably, there is little you can do about it, unless you have a lot of time on your hands to spend in court, are independently wealthy, and you don't mind risking some of this wealth on a suit you may lose. Based on what facts you have provided here, a lawsuit win appears iffy at best.

Again, consult with an attorney in your area and see what he says. If the attorney, after a review of the facts, says you have a slam-dunk winnable case, so you pursue it and you win big bucks, then you can always come back here and gloat. ;) :)

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, the separation notice is not irrelevant, but it is not the be-all and end-all of the discussion, either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">