• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I get compensation for travel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cromos

In about a week and a half, I will have to fly to Texas to mod the child support. Originally, when I filed, I also filed a paper that waived my court hearing (I take it that the judge would have signed it on his desk at his leisure). However, my ex submitted a reply disagreeing with my mod (big surprise, right). And because of that one sentence reply handwritten on ruled paper, I now have to spend nearly $300 on a plane ticket to fly to Texas to take care of this.

Is there anything I can do to get compensated for my expenses? I am unemployed and can't afford it to begin with. Just throwing it out there to see if by chance there is something.

Thanks

LdiJ

In about a week and a half, I will have to fly to Texas to mod the child support. Originally, when I filed, I also filed a paper that waived my court hearing (I take it that the judge would have signed it on his desk at his leisure). However, my ex submitted a reply disagreeing with my mod (big surprise, right). And because of that one sentence reply handwritten on ruled paper, I now have to spend nearly $300 on a plane ticket to fly to Texas to take care of this.

Is there anything I can do to get compensated for my expenses? I am unemployed and can't afford it to begin with. Just throwing it out there to see if by chance there is something.

Thanks
Have you checked to see if the court would allow you to appear telephonically?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
At the end of the day, that's partially the cost of your moving away from the state holding jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">