• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I keep the deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAS

What is the name of your state? SD
I had a flat bed trailer for sale in front of my home. $650.00 A man put a deposit down on it $250.00 by check and asked if I could hold it until he can come up with the rest of the money. I agreed. I cashed the check within days. I knew where he lived but I don't know him. I finally got a call almost a year later he has the money. I told him I sold it. He said he understood that it took him so long but would have appreciated a phone call and would like his money back. I told him it was not my responsibility to call him and that I will not return his money. I don't feel that I need too, its like layaway once the time goes by you lose. I had asked around my neighbors and I get conflicting advice.
Am I right?
D

BL

What is the name of your state? SD
I had a flat bed trailer for sale in front of my home. $650.00 A man put a deposit down on it $250.00 by check and asked if I could hold it until he can come up with the rest of the money. I agreed. I cashed the check within days. I knew where he lived but I don't know him. I finally got a call almost a year later he has the money. I told him I sold it. He said he understood that it took him so long but would have appreciated a phone call and would like his money back. I told him it was not my responsibility to call him and that I will not return his money. I don't feel that I need too, its like layaway once the time goes by you lose. I had asked around my neighbors and I get conflicting advice.
Am I right?
D
According to you it wasn't a fixed term time .

You took the deposit as a hold .

You didn't hold it .

You also did not state the deposit was non refundable .

You also knew where he lived . When you sold it , you should have took him his deposit .

Buster519

I don't think I would have cashed the deposit check right away. I would have held onto it for a set time then contact him that the trailer is back up for sale and return the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">