• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I make soon-to-be ex-husband sell our home because of debts in bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angie may

The reason for divorce is not necessarily a financial reason it is a personal reason connected to substance abuse issues nonviolent but reoccurring and not a good environment for kids.

Angie may

I get it...I'm just kind of amazed that an attorney told you it was okay to put the house up for sale without hubby's agreement.
If I listed it with a realtor then I would need him to sign before I put it up listed but since he was okay with me listing it for sale by owner there wasn't really a problem with that but now that he won't sign it there becomes a problem

Angie may

If I listed it with a realtor then I would need him to sign before I put it up listed but since he was okay with me listing it for sale by owner there wasn't really a problem with that but now that he won't sign it there becomes a problem
And I never even really listed it for sale by owner I just posted it on a Facebook group site and because of the area we live in people are very interested in it

Just Blue

This sucks...sorry you having to deal with his ...crap.

Litigator22

He wants to buy me out but he doesn't have any money and can't get a loan whatdo ever.

Our business is failing because we do not have the money to run it. We already have pre paid reservation from before and now we have to cancel services and can't refund people. Our bank accounts are negative about $10000. And credit cards over the limits. And we have missed 2 months of mirtage payments on the unfinished home and land. I had to ask my parents for rent money and gave no way to pay bills and utilities until I start working next month.

Wouldn't this be a reason to force him to sell our only assets?

We have got a cash offer that will make all of these debts go away and leave each of us with a small profit. He just won't give up on finishing the house even though he has no means to do it financially.

Is there a legal term for this?
You can rationalize until the cows come home, but it won't alter the fact that you cannot independently compel him to participate in the sale of the community owned real property! The issue is foreclosed so stop flogging it with pointless argument.

Angie may

You can rationalize until the cows come home, but it won't alter the fact that you cannot independently compel him to participate in the sale of the community owned real property! The issue is foreclosed so stop flogging it with pointless argument.
I'm not sure what you mean by the issue is foreclosed unless my banter is just pointless but we are not being foreclosed on at this point at all.

And I've been doing research on bankruptcy and debt and selling of real property my situation is not that we are bankrupt yet but headed that direction so the question I had is before it heads completely that way is there anything I can do to force the sale?

Angie may

If this is clogging up some part of the website or Forum please let me know otherwise I thought it was the discussion sites where I could ask questions explain my story and get opinions or answers

Just Blue

I'm not sure what you mean by the issue is foreclosed unless my banter is just pointless but we are not being foreclosed on at this point at all.

And I've been doing research on bankruptcy and debt and selling of real property my situation is not that we are bankrupt yet but headed that direction so the question I had is before it heads completely that way is there anything I can do to force the sale?
File for divorce. When you get before a Judge you may request the sale...but just REQUEST.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">