• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I move out at 17?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commentator

Realistically, why does your mother want you? If she is selling her meds, living marginally, got a boyfriend who's at least a pot head if nothing worse, she isn't mommy of the year. Are you receiving some sort of Social Security benefit or something like that, say a payment for being her child while she's on SSI or disability? What does she say when you bring up the idea of going back to live with Cheryl? If you're worth money or benefits to her, if it is of monetary benefit to her to have you, she'll object very strongly. Otherwise, really why not just tell her you'd rather move back in with Cheryl, and why won't she agree to it?

Angel73114

She gets money from the government for me, but I'm not entirely sure why. She only wants me for the money, she's said it before. And she doesn't like Heather, because although Heather had a daughter at 17 as well, Heather made something of her life unlike my mother

I'mTheFather

She gets money from the government for me, but I'm not entirely sure why. She only wants me for the money, she's said it before. And she doesn't like Heather, because although Heather had a daughter at 17 as well, Heather made something of her life unlike my mother
Does that mean you've asked her and she said no?

Angel73114

Correct, I have asked and she said no. I ran away and went to my aunt's house but my biological mother listed me as a runaway so we had to go to the cops. And Debra (my biological mother) picked me up.

Angel73114

No, I have had them involved in the past but they always drop the case quickly because she my biological mother and they have no proof

commentator

Yes, I'm sorry. Cold but true, if your mother is using your presence to produce more income for herself, she won't let go until you're 18 and can leave her legally. Please try to make the most of your time and continue your education, regard this as a temporary situation and don't follow the fine old family tradition of adding children before you're ready to take care of them. It seems like forever to you now, but plan the time until you're of age, and try to remember that in the course of your whole lifetime, it will not be a very long period of time. I'm glad you have Heather in your life, and some other supportive people. We don't all have good bio parents, but the friends who support us are precious and are to be developed and continued with. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">