• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I picket outside a bank?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scarback

HomeGuru Q: Hey, aren't you the person that punched a drunk guy at a party and busted his nose and jaw?

A: Yeah, that was my post. Last spring sometime. That thing's going to court. The other guy was a mean drunk who was pressing in on my friend's pregnant wife. When the good guy pushed the drunk off of her, the drunk swung. The good guy returned with one punch and that ended it. The guy even came the next day and apologized. However, the good guy didn't remember the most important rule... Don't defend a woman, if the drunk is the son of a personal injury attorney. I hope that lawyer's wife has the same thing happen to her, and no one steps in to help her.

Bitter? Me? Naw. :)

Thanks for the info on my bank thing. It's only $30 and the bank is probably legally okay. But I see it like coming up to an accident and going through the pockets of the injured people looking for money. It sickens me. The poor kid was in critical condition for 4 weeks and in the hospital for 2 months.
Thanks a bunch

djohnson

"Thanks for the info on my bank thing. It's only $30 and the bank is probably legally okay. But I see it like coming up to an accident and going through the pockets of the injured people looking for money. It sickens me. The poor kid was in critical condition for 4 weeks and in the hospital for 2 months.
Thanks a bunch"

That's the point, you are seeing it all wrong as these are two totally different circumstances. One is theft, the other is not. I am truly sorry for the situation, but if he has cancer you had to have known about before he was in ICU. Provisions should have been made (and still should) for you, or someone else to be POA. There will probably be issues even at a different bank and someone else needs to be able to act for him if he is unable.

Also before a bank can just change your account, you would have to have been given notice. He would have had that notice before being in ICU.

You have been given advice on what you can do to find out what is legal. Our response is to the silliness of it. $30.00 just isn't that much. You will spend more than that on signs to picket.

JETX

"So what rights do I have to picket outside the bank?"
*** You can PEACEFULLY picket as long as:
1) If it is done ON their property, you leave if told to (if you refuse, you are subject to trespassing charge).
2) If you are picketing on public property, check with your local government to see if they have any restrictions on your actions (such as permits, etc.).

S

Scarback

I thought I'd let you know guys know how things unfolded. My irritation with the bank's dismal customer service was with the people and supervisors on their telephone customer service line. I went to the local branch to tell the manager the short story so he'd know what I was picketing about and why I was choosing this as a worthy battle to fight.

My sails were full with intention, but not emotion, when I went into the bank and wouldn't you know it, a low level employee took the wind right out of my sails by giving me completely excellent customer service before I even had a chance to let her know how intent I was. Sheesh. NOW who am I going to fight with?!?!?

Thanks for your commentary on this issue.

H

hexeliebe

And what did we learn from this episode?

Maybe try to deal with problems before running into battle with dragons with only wet spagetti? :D

S

Scarback

Hey Hex,
You may have 'learned' that from this, but I don't know how. I got what I felt was worth standing up about. It wasn't the 12 round title bout that I anticipated. More like, the opponent saw Ali in the ring and threw in the towel.

There's more to life's circumstances than the legal issues. Legally it may have been no stronger than wet noodles, but my issues were stronger than steel in terms of ethics and human decency.

I learned (confirmed): Don't charge into every battle, only those that have goodness and human decency on your side, AND that you are willing to fight all the way, even at great personal time and cost.

I learned: Some individuals within an organization can be good and decent, even when the policy of the organization is only money oriented.

Can you imagine if personal injury lawyers had goodness and human decency as a requirement? There would be a lot more free time for our judges all of a sudden, eh?

Thanks for your views Hex, sincerely.

H

hexeliebe

Just remember one thing. You came here full of piss and vinegar because you were wronged (as you seemed to think) but lo and behold, when you actually went to the bank and discussed the matter with someone who was willing to listen, there was no need for the piss and vinegar.

THAT is what I am talking about.

Too many people these days imagine themselves wronged and instead of confronting the issue they march into forums, courtrooms or gun racks for the easier solution.

When all they need do is put pride aside and address the issue.

'nuff said.

S

Scarback

Gun rack... yeah. Why didn't I think of that? ;o)

If I was full of piss and vinegar, I'd agree with your post completely. I come from a long line of piss and vinegar reactionaries and I've even spawed a couple piss and vinegar reactionaries, so it's not unreasonable to agree that I might have had a several ounces of vinegar and some of that other too.

But still...
trying to squeeze $30 out of a kid who's been 2 months in critical condition with cancer. If anything is worthy of some of that vinegar stuff you mentioned... and certainly that bank deserves some of the piss... See? Now I'm getting worked up again. I'm going to picket the bank anyway. Grrr!

:)

mykoleary

See? Now I'm getting worked up again. I'm going to picket the bank anyway. Grrr!
Don't forget to get drunk first. Then you could wrap up both of your problems into a new third problem, assaulting someone who's opposed to your picketing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">