• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I sue former tenants for unpaid rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zliminator

What is the name of your state? FL

I went all the way threw the eviction process up until the point where the sheriff came and gave 24 hours notice. They asked me to blow it off and they promised to be out in a week. I did and they were. No problem. I did not get them to sign anything. Can I still take them to small claims court to get back rent?

FarmerJ

YES because now that you have possession of the unit they still owe for the days they lived there unpaid . If you dont belong to a credit reporting agency check out joining one it will make it easier to report the judgement you get .

Cvillecpm

Record the judgement

Rather than join a credit reporting agency - sue former tenants, put their SS#s on warrent or civil complaint, get judgement, record the judgement with SS# and the credit bureau will pick up your judgement from there.

Most people don't realize that getting the judgement and recording it are 2 different events in being able to get your $$$.

HomeGuru

Re: Record the judgement

Cvillecpm, I see this week that you have decided to come back to this website.
Didn't you leave this website in January 2003 because you were giving incorrect advice and failed to prove that you were in the right?
JETX and the HomeGuru are still waiting for you to prove that you were right on that VA lead-based paint thread.

Last edited:

JETX

Re: Record the judgement

Cvillecpm said:
Rather than join a credit reporting agency - sue former tenants, put their SS#s on warrent or civil complaint, get judgement, record the judgement with SS# and the credit bureau will pick up your judgement from there.

Most people don't realize that getting the judgement and recording it are 2 different events in being able to get your $$$.
As fully expected, CVillageIdiot is not correct again.

1) Only a few (very few!!) courts have their judgments 'automatically' submitted to the CRA's (Credit Reporting Agencies). This is done by 'stringers' hired to review the court records and submit their entries to ONE of the CRA's. If your judgment is not rendered in one of those very few courts, then YOU would need to submit it to the CRA.... and they only accept files from their subscribers.
2) Unless the debtor owns, or is likely to own, property in that county, there is really little value in filing the Abstract of the judgment with the county clerk (or registrar). I would suggest saving the cost of filing and then file later if/when the debtor does have assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">