• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take my child to Disney for vacation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinkerBelleLuvr

But Pennsylvania -- like most other states --- does not require children to attend kindergarten.

Kindergarten is not mandatory in Pennsylvania. In fact, children here aren't legally required to attend school until age 8.

LdiJ

But Pennsylvania -- like most other states --- does not require children to attend kindergarten.

Kindergarten is not mandatory in Pennsylvania. In fact, children here aren't legally required to attend school until age 8.
Yes, but as Stealth pointed out....that applies to only one of the two children.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

The kid in question is 9. SO he's required to go to school. Period, end of story. What the state requires of children 8 and under is irrelevant. I don't know why we're even discussing it, except someone couldn't be bothered to actually read the original post. <grumble>

LdiJ

the older child is REQUIRED to go to school. they can get away with the younger one enjoying Disney.
Ok...lets remember that this vacation time is not scheduled time for dad for either child. Its "extra" that he wants that mom is not agreeing to at this point.

And lets also take into consideration one child getting to go to disney and the other child not....

Again, as I have stated from the beginning...this is all going to boil down to the judges attitude on the whole thing. I honestly can't imagine a judge deciding that one child can go because KG is not mandatory, and that the other child cannot because 2nd grade IS mandatory.

Lets be real here folks...its going to depend on the judge's overall attitude about school. That's the bottom line.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Umm the children are from TWO DIFFERENT mothers. So the judge only has jurisdiction over ONE of the children.

tammy8

I have read a couple of the posts but since so many were just chit chat I skipped a bunch so if this has been said or shot down, forgive me please.

At the age of the child in question, seriously how much learning is done in Dec besides preparing for a holiday party??????? When I was married in the past, my ex and I always took the kids out of school for a couple of days for a**************.....wait for it**************.....Bike Rally. It was always excused because during the days we had the kids out of school, we required them to actually learn something. We went to aquariums and studied and wrote reports on the animals we saw. We found an animal on the beach and studied it and had the kids write reports on them. It honestly was educational for everyone.

wileybunch

I'll give points to OP insofar as he hasn't told his son about the trip YET. The carrot has not been dangled yet. However, Son will find out.

Poor Daddy can't take his boy to Disney because of mean old Mommy.

Hey! He IS a Disney Land Dad.

The trip could have been scheduled during the summer when, along with long lines, he_d have leverage. Now mom clearly has leverage.
True he didn't b/c if he had, I would have just had "@ss" in my mind when reading his post, but I didn't. I actually missed what my problem was with the plans until you laid it out.

He actually said it here:

It is difficult for me to imagine him not going, and having to explain to him, why I took his half-sister to Disney & not him.
So kid will know when all's said and done and I think I'd have a hard time doing that to my child. I agree it would stink to go in the summer, but then I guess there's all kinds of other places they can go instead until/unless OP gets a CO that allows him discretion for a vacation during the school year.

P.S. I said I always made sure my older kids didn't miss school, but I just remembered I took them out of school for a trip to Hawaii once .... ::::whistling::::

Something I have to ask is, what is PA's Truancy law?

Here if a student misses more than 7 days a year unexcused, child automatically fails the grade.

So taking a child out for a vacation, no matter where it is, is not advisable, especially if child is going to miss 5 days.

haiku

Just something i want to point out to the posters who are saying tha tbecause school attendance is not mandatory until age 7 in most states, you can pull a kid out for vacations...

this only applies to ENROLLMENT.

Once you have enrolled a child in school, you are then subject to that states and schools attendance regulations.

tuffbrk

Something I have to ask is, what is PA's Truancy law?
The OP already has received approval from the school so this is a non-issue.

The REAL issue is that the OP planned a vacation on time that is not currently allocated to him, is going to go to court in an attempt to obtain the additional time. Current order states that any additional time needs to be agreed upon by both parties. The OP alleges that the CP has a history of not being cooperative...

Basically - after reading this for the past 2 days - it is a subjective decision of whichever judge is assigned as the order does not provide for "special circumstance" type allowances in which NCP can definitively have more than the allotted time in the order...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">