• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can LL throw out tenant for no reason?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zliminator

What is the name of your state? FL

A friend that does a lot of rentals told me that a LL can give a 30 day notice to vacate on a year lease in the middle of the lease for no reason or for something like "personality conflict". I thought the lease was a binding agreement. She pointed to a specific statute in the LL/Tenants rights.

longneck

that is completely, 100% wrong. if the tenant has a written lease with a defined term, the LL can not terminate the lease for no reason. and a judge is likely to rule a provision like that in a lease if the tenant is not also able to exercise that option.

the 30 day notice for no reason only applies to people who do NOT have a written lease.

JETX

zliminator said:
A friend that does a lot of rentals told me that a LL can give a 30 day notice to vacate on a year lease in the middle of the lease for no reason or for something like "personality conflict".
Your 'friend' is NOT correct.

She pointed to a specific statute in the LL/Tenants rights.
Gee... and what statute is that??

zliminator

for no reason

I'll confront her about it, but she was pretty adamant about it. She has been dealing with renters for years. I didn't believe her either but she told me she knew what she was talking about. I will confront her about it again, if she doesn't hang up on me. And I will try to find that statute.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">