• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Medicaid claw back non-probatable assets of indigent deceased?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I posted a version of this in the Tax forum but see that it's more appropriate for this forum.

I recently read online that in some states such as Connecticut, Medicaid goes after the assets of the deceased, including non-probatable ones, to cover medical costs incurred while they were alive. In my brother's final three months of shuttling between hospital and nursing home, I expect the medical expenses reached $40,000 or more. He was poor and on Connecticut's Medicaid plan for the indigent (Husky Health, Plan D). To help provide an income for him before he fell sick, my mother paid for and started a $215k, single-life-with-cash-refund annuity for him, naming my other brother as beneficiary for what now is worth about $168k. She also gave my now-dead eldest brother a remainderman share in a condo with the share worth about $43,000 and that share transferred to me in the event of his death via joint tenancy with right of survivorship. He was living in the condo where the $215k annuity paid for its monthly fee and utilities. We will soon list the condo for sale. My mother is still alive and is acting as the fiduciary / petitioner in filing Connecticut's Form PC-212, Affidavit in Lieu of Probate, along with the required Form CT 706-NT Non-Taxable Estate Tax Return. Shortly after receipt of the filing, the probate judge scheduled a hearing for later this month and cc'ed the notice, along with the PC-212 to the Collection Services Unit of the Connecticut Department of Administrative Services ("DAS").

Questions: (1) Is it unlikely that Medicaid will claw back its expenses from these two non-probate assets of an otherwise insolvent estate--where even the cost of cremation exceeded his total probatable assets? According to the following recent amendment to Connecticut law (via Obamacare), https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_319s.htm#sec_17b-93 .

Sec. 17b-95 (Formerly Sec. 17-83g). State’s claim on death of beneficiary or parent of beneficiary. Sums due pursuant to an annuity contract.

(a) ..."Notwithstanding the provisions of this subsection, effective for services provided on or after January 1, 2014, no state claim pursuant to this section shall be made against the estate of a recipient of medical assistance under the Medicaid Coverage for the Lowest Income Populations program [emphasis added], established pursuant to Section 1902(a)(10)(A)(i)(VIII) of the Social Security Act, as amended from time to time, except to the extent required by federal law.”

Does my interpretation seem correct, or should I be concerned? My dead brother also had $12k in debt to the IRS from '10 and '11 for penalties from early withdrawal of an inherited IRA. Could the IRS also come after its debt from the surviving brother beneficiaries by putting, e.g., a tax lien on the condo?

(2) Is a DAS representative likely to attend the hearing, or is such a carbon copy of the hearing notice and PC-212 petition merely pro forma? According to Connecticut General Statute, Sec. 45a-273 (Settlement of small estates without probate of will or letters of administration), "If the petitioner indicates in such affidavit that the decedent received public assistance or institutional care from the state of Connecticut, the court shall not issue a decree until thirty days after notification to the Department of Administrative Services (DAS)". The thirty day period would expire about ten days after our hearing date.

Last edited:

Paul84

duplicate post.
LdiJ, thanks for your reply in the tax forum, which I repeat here: "Once again, creditors, which include both Medicaid and the IRS, can only go after assets that go through probate. Any asset that has a beneficiary passes outside of probate. It is NOT necessary to open probate if the estate has no assets. It is not necessary for any potential heir to open probate if that heir does not wish to go after what minor assets might exist or believes that the debts will greatly exceed the assets.

Either the IRS or Medicaid, or any other creditor can opt to open probate on a deceased person if that creditor believes that there might be assets to tap. Generally however, that is not going to happen. They usually are not interested in throwing good money after bad."

Response: Should I delete my post to which you replied from that Tax forum?

Remaining question: Why would the judge have called for a hearing, and invited DAS to it? Also, why would websites say that creditors such as Medicaid can go after assets outside probate? See, for example, this site, http://www.elderlawanswers.com/key-medicaid-information-for-connecticut-for-2017-12170

"Estate Recovery
Has the state of Connecticut expanded the definition of "estate" beyond the probate estate? Yes"

and the related page, "http://www.elderlawanswers.com/medicaids-power-to-recoup-benefits-paid-estate-recovery-and-liens-12018 saying:

"they [Medicaid] have the option of seeking recovery against property in which the recipient had an interest but which passes outside of probate. This includes jointly held assets, assets in a living trust, or life estates."

I know it's not a statute, but it seems like a reputable website--hence, my concern. I'm just trying to anticipate whether DAS is likely to show up at the hearing and whether I'll have to make legal arguments (as a pro-se party) to refute any claim on assets that were not listed on the PC-212 form, but only on the CT NT-706.

Related questions: Is the calling of a hearing by the judge a sign that he is opening probate, contrary to the petition of my mother? Do such affidavits in lieu of probate require hearings, must the judge first have one before signing off on the petition to dispense with probate, or is the judge just being cautious / prudent?

Last edited:

quincy

Aw, come on, Paul84. You have been on this forum long enough to know that you should not start duplicate threads.

Please add these latest questions to the thread that is already in progress in the Tax Law section of the forum. You have already received several responses there.

This thread should be locked or deleted.

Thanks.

Here is a link to your first thread with the same question: https://forum.freeadvice.com/tax-law-12/escape-taxes-if-not-death-632450.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">