• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my landlord keep a window shade that I bought but he installed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

All that needs to be done to remove the shade is to release the two wires, which can easily be accomplished with no screw removal. The landlord would just be left with two wires attached to two eye screws each, that he screwed in himself.
He would need to remove the eye screws and paint if he didn't replace it or replace it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, about 2 person-hours to install. My personal time is worth about $75/hour, his might be less. In any case, he spent more than $5 to install it.

xylene

You should just leave the shade. It is an installed fixture, specially installed at your request.

You should also accept that the landlord is not jerking you around with the rent. Montana is a state where rent is rising faster than inflation, and in some cities and area QUITE a lot faster. There is a lot of reasons from that ranging from affluent white flight to less urban areas of the country to nimby and ecological opposition to lower cost new dwelling units being built.

Whatever the reasons, and there are many, rent is going to rise in Montana for the foreseeable future.

Amy Olsy

So, about 2 person-hours to install. My personal time is worth about $75/hour, his might be less. In any case, he spent more than $5 to install it.
We are both self-employed and our rate is the same, $30/hr. If we get into how much each person has invested in terms of time, I win by a long yard just with the trips back and forth to the canvas shop. Gah, it hurts my head.

Last edited:

Amy Olsy

You should just leave the shade. It is an installed fixture, specially installed at your request.

You should also accept that the landlord is not jerking you around with the rent. Montana is a state where rent is rising faster than inflation, and in some cities and area QUITE a lot faster. There is a lot of reasons from that ranging from affluent white flight to less urban areas of the country to nimby and ecological opposition to lower cost new dwelling units being built.

Whatever the reasons, and there are many, rent is going to rise in Montana for the foreseeable future.
Yes, the rental market where I live is outrageous. But his property needs a LOT of work, and the utility bills run $3-400/mo in the winter, with frugal (like, I can see my breath) use. The carpeting is 35 years old. He balks at making changes and repairs that are his responsibility, legally. If a landlord raises rent by over 25%, he should consider stepping up to the plate and devoting some time to repairs and updates. He's charging me the same rent as brand new places with an extra bathroom and insulation. There are two other tenants on the property, and he didn't raise their rent. I've since learned that he's planning to move into my place when I'm gone, so that may have been his plan from the start. Or likely his plan.

I'm taking your advice about the shade though, and leaving it without conflict!

FarmerJ

Please do not forget to note on paper the normal wear and tear and items that are shabby from age and also take a lot of pictures of its final condition to go with your notes , WHY because you may need them in court should he be unfair with your deposit funds when he does the final disposition of it with in the time lines your state has set. As to rents going up well it sounds like he was doing that in order to make it easier for you to vacate knowing that eventually you might refuse to pay what he wanted and move else where.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">