• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can really old approved subdivision plans be expired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmiller2

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Before the oil business left Louisiana heading to Texas, many developers had big plans for the New Orleans and Jefferson Parish areas. Of course, the 1980's oil crash came and everyone left, but many developers had subdivision plans already approved and never did anything with them.

Today, we have a major problem. Other developers are now buying the land to finally develop and want to use the existing approved plans from over 20 years ago. Jefferson Parish is trying to find a way to expire old plans that can be considered "out of date", but it seems legal issues are coming up since the original approval of the plats become part of the official record making it somewhat impossible to do.

The reason these need to be expired is because the standards are much different today in regards to drainage, streets, lot sizes, etc. that extremely benefit the property values in the area. Today we required better drainage than 20 years ago. Also bigger lots sizes and wider streets.

My question: Is there any angle possible for Jefferson Parish to expire old plats or plans since a developer has not done anything with it after 20 years, which would be much lower standards than the current requirements for newly approved plans in place today?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Charles Miller, III
[email protected]

S

seniorjudge

I know nothing about Roman law, but in the common law, it is possible to vacate a subdivision and then start all over again. Yes, the plats are on the real estate records, but you can still get rid of them.

Again in the common law, a plat never "expires"; there are old French plats (for example) in some parts of Missouri that are from the late 1700s. Obviously, some of their dimensions, etc. are not too good these days, so folks will combine two or three lots. They still have to comply with the zoning and such, no matter how old the plat is.

Wouldn't it be worth your while to talk to a title attorney or title insurance company?

I am assuming you are talking about undeveloped (i.e., not built on) land?

Excuse me for taking so long to say, "I don't know." I do want to know so I am subscribing to this thread.

cmiller2

Thanks. I'll let you know if I find out anything. I was hoping to get some answers on this website first whether it even has merit before going see a title attorney.

Yes, I'm only talking about undeveloped (not built on) land.

Thanks again for your attempt on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">