• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can she take him back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Murph0228

What is the name of your state? Florida

I will try to keep the back story short. Mother has sole custody as a result of our divorce over 10 years ago. This was because I was living in PA and she in FL. There was a stipulation that I was allowed to visit my son and speak to him on the phone/video chat. She did not allow this for 7 years, violating her own custody agreement. She filled in the divorce paperwork herself so knows what the deal was. Being as I was in PA I could not go to the courts in Ft. Lauderdale to get anything changed. There is more to it but that is the short version.

Fast forward to 2015 when she finally makes contact with me stating she can no longer handle him on her own. I come back to Florida and he moves in with me. Custody was never changed in the courts. My fault, prior to meeting my current girlfriend I honestly had no idea where to begin with anything legal related and it was never mentioned between my ex wife so it was never changed, and I didn't think it was an issue. Honest to God ignorance on my part here. I own up to it. And I could not afford an attorney. He lived with me for a year and had to move back with her due to unforeseen medical circumstances on my end.

Now it is 2018 and he is living with me again, this time due to domestic violence in his mothers home. There is an open case with Child Protective Services against her. She and her live in boyfriend have a physically violent relationship and she refuses to remove him from the household. My son is scared to live in that house and would like to stay with me going forward. I enrolled him in school here and he is a resident of the household I share with my girlfriend and her 2 sons. His mother wrote a letter stating she is "granting temporary guardianship" to me with a false excuse that my sons Grandfather passed away... totally leaving out the real reason of domestic abuse. She never put an expiration date on that letter.

She is now saying she wants him back for the summer, saying that his grandmother is "sick". This conveniently comes on the same day I went to court to modify child support and file for custody, which she found out about because child support called her. She doesn't really want him back, she just doesn't want the child support changed to where she would now owe me money. She is putting my son in the middle and making him feel guilty for not coming back. We all know that if he goes to her (she lives 3.5 hours away from us, not a quick trip) that he will not be coming back and will be stuck in that violent house again. I did speak to the CPS case worker and he said I have a very good leg to stand on considering the case is still open against her. But I am still worried she can enforce the original sole custody agreement and come take him away.

If anyone can shed some light on this situation it would be very appreciated. Can she just come take him from his home (where as she says it, he is just "visiting")? Where he is enrolled in school? School is over in 2 days, so technically he won't be in school until August so I'm worried that isn't enough to keep him here. He is 13, almost 14, is he old enough to legally say where he wants to live? It is in the best interest of the child to stay with me here in a a safe loving home. I'm hoping the judge sees that as well, but we all know how long the court process is. It could be months before it is official.

I'm very anxious and scared that she will come take him back to that house and won't let me see my son again. She is very manipulative and I wouldn't put anything past her. I will not do what she did and give zero contact, I told her that I will be happy to drive him to South Florida to visit his "sick" grandmother, his other family and her as well. But that's all, a visit and he comes home with me. Of course that isn't good enough for her. There is no reason he needs to spend overnights in that house right now.

Advice? Questions? Comments?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Florida

I will try to keep the back story short. Mother has sole custody as a result of our divorce over 10 years ago. This was because I was living in PA and she in FL. There was a stipulation that I was allowed to visit my son and speak to him on the phone/video chat. She did not allow this for 7 years, violating her own custody agreement. She filled in the divorce paperwork herself so knows what the deal was. Being as I was in PA I could not go to the courts in Ft. Lauderdale to get anything changed. There is more to it but that is the short version.

Fast forward to 2015 when she finally makes contact with me stating she can no longer handle him on her own. I come back to Florida and he moves in with me. Custody was never changed in the courts. My fault, prior to meeting my current girlfriend I honestly had no idea where to begin with anything legal related and it was never mentioned between my ex wife so it was never changed, and I didn't think it was an issue. Honest to God ignorance on my part here. I own up to it. And I could not afford an attorney. He lived with me for a year and had to move back with her due to unforeseen medical circumstances on my end.

Now it is 2018 and he is living with me again, this time due to domestic violence in his mothers home. There is an open case with Child Protective Services against her. She and her live in boyfriend have a physically violent relationship and she refuses to remove him from the household. My son is scared to live in that house and would like to stay with me going forward. I enrolled him in school here and he is a resident of the household I share with my girlfriend and her 2 sons. His mother wrote a letter stating she is "granting temporary guardianship" to me with a false excuse that my sons Grandfather passed away... totally leaving out the real reason of domestic abuse. She never put an expiration date on that letter.

She is now saying she wants him back for the summer, saying that his grandmother is "sick". This conveniently comes on the same day I went to court to modify child support and file for custody, which she found out about because child support called her. She doesn't really want him back, she just doesn't want the child support changed to where she would now owe me money. She is putting my son in the middle and making him feel guilty for not coming back. We all know that if he goes to her (she lives 3.5 hours away from us, not a quick trip) that he will not be coming back and will be stuck in that violent house again. I did speak to the CPS case worker and he said I have a very good leg to stand on considering the case is still open against her. But I am still worried she can enforce the original sole custody agreement and come take him away.

If anyone can shed some light on this situation it would be very appreciated. Can she just come take him from his home (where as she says it, he is just "visiting")? Where he is enrolled in school? School is over in 2 days, so technically he won't be in school until August so I'm worried that isn't enough to keep him here. He is 13, almost 14, is he old enough to legally say where he wants to live? It is in the best interest of the child to stay with me here in a a safe loving home. I'm hoping the judge sees that as well, but we all know how long the court process is. It could be months before it is official.

I'm very anxious and scared that she will come take him back to that house and won't let me see my son again. She is very manipulative and I wouldn't put anything past her. I will not do what she did and give zero contact, I told her that I will be happy to drive him to South Florida to visit his "sick" grandmother, his other family and her as well. But that's all, a visit and he comes home with me. Of course that isn't good enough for her. There is no reason he needs to spend overnights in that house right now.

Advice? Questions? Comments?
Technically yes, she could come and take him away. That is why you need to get the judge to order that you have temporary custody until the case is decided. You might even try to do it on an emergency basis due to the open CPS case. If you cannot figure out how to do that, then its going to be time to get an attorney on board.

Murph0228

I did research emergency custody but I read that it is very hard to get granted and is typically only awarded when the child himself is being abused. Not just a witness to his mother getting beat up. I will look into the temporary custody today though!

Murph0228

Technically yes, she could come and take him away. That is why you need to get the judge to order that you have temporary custody until the case is decided. You might even try to do it on an emergency basis due to the open CPS case. If you cannot figure out how to do that, then its going to be time to get an attorney on board.
This is what the Florida courts say about temporary custody:

This form should be used by an extended family member to obtain temporary custody of a child or children pursuant to Chapter 751, Florida Statutes. This form should not be used if you are a parent seeking to establish parental responsibility or time-sharing with a child or children.

An Extended Family Member is: A relative of a minor child within the third degree by blood or marriage to the parent; OR The stepparent of a minor child if the stepparent is currently married to the parent of the child and is not a party in a pending dissolution, separate maintenance, domestic violence, or other civil or criminal proceeding in any court of competent jurisdiction involving one or both of the child(ren)’s parents as an adverse party.

You may file a Petition for Temporary Custody if: You have the signed, notarized consents of the child(ren)’s legal parents; OR You are an extended family member who is caring full time for the child(ren) in the role of a substitute parent and with whom the child(ren) is (are) presently living.

Doesn't look like this will apply being as I am his Father and not extended family?

xylene

You have a complex child custody situation, one you admit is partially because of not knowing what to do or what needed to be done.

You have the child. There is a CPS issue. You need to engage a lawyer and work the courts or engage in a settlement that serves the best interest of the child.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
File for a modification of the old custody order with the substantial change in circumstances being the abuse and that he has been living with you. And no at 13 or 14, your son can't choose.

Murph0228

I am filing all of the necessary paperwork but it takes months to go through the courts. I am worried about her coming to take him away in the immediate future. All of the temporary forms I find are for extended family, not parents.

HRZ

Mom has a right to insist upon the order as written ....I'm NOT a lawyer ..just a lay guess...IF the child has been living with you for say 6 + months you " might " have a point as to status quo being in the child's best interests ...but I think it's long overdue that you get an attorney on board ...and sort out where jurisdiction is...probably FL ......and get legal talent aboard before you make any trips with son to visit anyone in FL ! And BEFORE you get charged with some interference with ( custodial!) parents rights law. LIke get it underway SOON.

KIds do not get to decide anything ( except perhaps in TX ) Child of 14 might be able to be heard and court give it such weight as court feels appropriate ..ask counsel .

Unless you want to open a can of technical worms about you owe tuition in PA for a non resident student I'd stay clear of discussions about son "just visiting " PA ...nobody is likely to probe ...but if you rub a nose in it ..well go figure . ( There are at least two lower level PA cases on point about the non custodial parents right to free tuition ..no right ...but almost nobody reads them or cares )

Just curious , this most recent move to PA, how long has son been in PA.?
OG is seasoned attorney on such matters ...get started NOW ...its sure to be a FL court matter ...at least start in that county ...and this time use counsel

xylene

You didn't see or hear from your kid for 7 years because of not knowing what to do and not understanding your decree.

You need an advocate in your corner.

Murph0228

Mom has a right to insist upon the order as written ....I'm NOT a lawyer ..just a lay guess...IF the child has been living with you for say 6 + months you " might " have a point as to status quo being in the child's best interests ...but I think it's long overdue that you get an attorney on board ...and sort out where jurisdiction is...probably FL ......and get legal talent aboard before you make any trips with son to visit anyone in FL ! And BEFORE you get charged with some interference with ( custodial!) parents rights law. LIke get it underway SOON.

KIds do not get to decide anything ( except perhaps in TX ) Child of 14 might be able to be heard and court give it such weight as court feels appropriate ..ask counsel .

Unless you want to open a can of technical worms about you owe tuition in PA for a non resident student I'd stay clear of discussions about son "just visiting " PA ...nobody is likely to probe ...but if you rub a nose in it ..well go figure . ( There are at least two lower level PA cases on point about the non custodial parents right to free tuition ..no right ...but almost nobody reads them or cares )

Just curious , this most recent move to PA, how long has son been in PA.?
OG is seasoned attorney on such matters ...get started NOW ...its sure to be a FL court matter ...at least start in that county ...and this time use counsel
I no longer live in PA. I moved back to Florida before my son came to live with me the first time in 2015.

Just Blue

I interpreted it to read that the child himself must be inflicted with abuse to his body. I do agree with you that it is abuse.
No...

Think of the terror your son feels when watching his mother get beaten by her BF and the danger that places him in. Also consider that your son is learning how to treat women from this "man". You need to do everything in your power to make sure he is safe and protected...and until his mother get help that means living with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">