• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they tell me details--not my debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My husband signed up for the BMG/RCA music club, where he got 6 CDs and had to agree to purchase 1 at the regular club price, and then he was to get 4 or 6 more free CDs. He fulfilled the agreement by purchasing the agreed upon number of CDs, and paid all the shipping costs for the orginal free CDs and the purchased CD. Once he did that, they sent him certificates for the additional free CDs. He never got around to ordering the free CDs, mainly because we would have had to pay the extremely high shipping costs. Plus he forgot all about being entitled to get them. I never signed up for the music club, and his name is the only one on the account.

We never heard anything from BMG from the time they sent the free CDs certificates until last month. That's when w started getting calls from LDG Financial collection agency, when they left a message on our answering machine. My husband was on a trip, so I called them, identified myself as his wife, and asked what the call was about. They proceded to give me details about the account, telling me the creditor, and the amount owed. Was that legal to tell me details when I'm not on the account?

We sent them a debt validation letter, and told them to no longer contact our home by phone. They're still calling and leaving messages for "Mr or Mrs Lastname". It's been 2 weeks since the letter was mailed to them, and they haven't responded yet. We don't think this debt is valid, since the # of CDs were purchased.

Legal questions:
Can they tell me details of the account if I'm not a party to the account?
What should be the next step?

Thanks.

TigerD

They can because you are the spouse.

Your request that they not contact you by phone isn't worth the paper you wrote it on.

Finding out what the debt is is your first step.

Dc

Indiana Filer

Hey Lady In Red!

Bump in hopes of a reply from LadyinRed.

According to what I read in the fair debt collection law, they can't tell me details because I'm not a party to the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">