• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you be sued for intentional infliction of emotional distress after giving them a copy of a lawsuit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law925

This forum exists to assist people with their legal issues when they don’t have their own attorneys.
As far as I see, FreeAdvice is the name of the website. Whether people have retained attorneys or not, I don't see how that can negate asking for advice anyway from anyone.

quincy

As far as I see, FreeAdvice is the name of the website. Whether people have retained attorneys or not, I don't see how that can negate asking for advice anyway from anyone.
No one has been prevented from doing anything. You asked questions. Members responded.

However, when someone has already hired their own attorney - one who is licensed to practice in their own jurisdiction - that attorney will not only be the best source of relevant information but that attorney can also provide legal advice that cannot be provided on a forum.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You may ask the question, but whether or not you have an attorney will impact how many people will respond and what response they give you. If a person has retained an attorney, that attorney will know far more about the case than anyone here (in part because it would not be wise for the person with the problem to divulge all the details of their legal situation). Their attorney is who the person with the legal problem should rely upon. For that reason, a number of our members won't respond to queries posted by represented posters. Whether or not a person is represented by a lawyer they should not rely on answers given them on an anonymous internet forum, whether this one or any other one. There is no way to determine just how well any responder actually knows the relevant law in such a forum.

On this forum, and others like it that I've participated on over the years, most of the people responding are not lawyers and are sharing their experiences with a similar situation or the law to extent they know it (which could be a little or a lot). That includes this site. Most of the people responding here are not attorneys, though a couple of them are. Many of our long term contributors, while not lawyers, do have a lot of knowledge about one or two areas of law because they've dealt with those kinds of issues a lot, either through work or their own encounters with similar situations. But even with the lawyers, if they are not licensed in the jurisdiction involved, all they may do is give you general legal information. They may not provide specific legal advice for matters outside the jurisdiction(s) in which they practice. For example, I'm not licensed in Hawai'i and may not provide advice to persons with legal matters in that state.

The law of every state prohibits a person from giving specific legal advice to others for legal matters in that state if person is not a lawyer licensed in the state where the issue or problem is occuring. The best that responders, including lawyers, may do on these sorts of boards is give you the general legal principles that apply to the type of problem a poster has and point out things that perhaps the poster should consider. There can be value in that, but it is certainly no substitute for actual legal advice from a lawyer licensed in that jurisdiction.

You may know some or all of that already, but I summarize that here because posters sometimes forget or don't know what the limits are of a site like this and then get frustrated when they don't get the kinds of answers they want. That's a mismatch between expectations and what the person will get. Posters are less likely to be frustrated if they match their expectations to what sites like this one are able to do for them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The law of every state prohibits a person from giving specific legal advice to others for legal matters in that state if person is not a lawyer licensed in the state where the issue or problem is occuring. The best that responders, including lawyers, may do on these sorts of boards is give you the general legal principles that apply to the type of problem a poster has and point out things that perhaps the poster should consider. There can be value in that, but it is certainly no substitute for actual legal advice from a lawyer licensed in that jurisdiction.
THIS!
This is what the disclaimer for this (and every other site like this) should be.

zddoodah

I would like my friend to give a copy to the doctor I worked with. . . . his name is mentioned over 20 times in the suit
Is this doctor a defendant? If not, what's the point of giving him a copy?

Could I get sued for intentional infliction of emotional distress just for having my friend deliver a copy of the suit to him after it's been properly served to the company?
Anyone can sue anyone for anything. If the question you intended to ask is whether merely giving a person a copy of your public record lawsuit would give rise to a viable IIED cause of action, the answer is no.

If I send my friend out to give a copy of the lawsuit to the disgraced doctor, he would have no clue who my friend is. He will just say "Special delivery for Dr. ....!" and give it to him. I didn't deliver it myself, so there would be no grounds for any lawsuit in this case.
What was the point of asking a question to which you apparently already knew the answer?

That's only for me to know and others to never find out.
You clearly have the mentality of a third grader, so I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">