• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you drop out at 16 in the State of New York without parental consent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am not asking if the parents can force their child to go to school by any means they can without the law acting against them: that they can is obvious. I'm asking if the school can force them to attend.
Yes, the school (district) can force the matter for those who are up to 17 on the last day of the school year in which they are attending.

Since you are particularly dense, and refuse to READ the official link I sent: YES, PARENTAL CONSENT IS NECESSARY. That consent can be overt (gives permission) or implied (if they don't protest).

IF THE PARENTS DO NOT CONSENT, AND YOU STOP GOING TO SCHOOL, THEY CAN GO TO COURT AND GET A PINS.

Forms for dealing with obnoxious minor.
I think you’re referring to the right of parents have over minors to do pretty much anything to them to do pretty much anything that they want. However, parents cannot get legal assistance to keep their child in school any more than they can get legal assistance to force their child to clean their room. Some legal resources misleadingly state that they can force children to attend school with legal assistance, but that’s talking about truancy and not whether you can de-enroll in the first place.

quincy

I think you’re referring to the right of parents have over minors to do pretty much anything to them to do pretty much anything that they want. However, parents cannot get legal assistance to keep their child in school any more than they can get legal assistance to force their child to clean their room. Some legal resources misleadingly state that they can force children to attend school with legal assistance, but that’s talking about truancy and not whether you can de-enroll in the first place.
Whether you MUST attend school past the last day of school in the year of your 16th birthday can depend on the school district, and if you have a job. In what school district are you?

Minors must get work permits to be employed in the state of New York, with a few exceptions (e.g., babysitting), and these work permits require parent signatures, with a few exceptions.

So, while a 16-year-old technically could end his schooling at age 16, the 16-year-old as a minor could have difficulty getting a job or finding a place to live without his/her parent’s help.

Whether you MUST attend school past the last day of school in the year of your 16th birthday depends on the school district, and if you have a job. In what school district are you?

Minors must get work permits to be employed in the state of New York, with a few exceptions (e.g., babysitting), and these work permits require parent signatures, with a few exceptions.

So, while a 16-year-old technically could end his schooling at age 16, the 16-year-old as a minor could have difficulty getting a job or finding a place to live without his/her parent’s help.
The school district allows it and I don't have a job, currently, though I do have a work permit.

quincy

The school district allows it and I don't have a job, currently, though I do have a work permit.
Your parents signed the permit so you could work. Are you currently planning on working part time and attending school part time? Or do you just want to quit school entirely? Have you discussed this with your parent(s)?

Your parents signed the permit so you could work. Are you currently planning on working part time and attending school part time? Or do you just want to quit?
No--Do I need a job to drop out? The law (linked in the original post) does not require it, unless you're in a certain city or district which i'm not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can't say for reasons of anonymity. They don't have any rules on the subject is what I mean.
You've come to a conclusion which may, or may not, be correct. Since you are unwilling to tell us the school district, you will want to speak to an attorney. Good day.

quincy

No--Do I need a job to drop out? The law (linked in the original post) does not require it, unless you're in a certain city or district which i'm not.
What will you do if you drop out and you don’t have a job? What are your plans?

quincy

Stay at home? I mean, I'll get a job eventually
That’s not a great plan. You should discuss this with your parents.

I understand that school beyond high school is not for everyone but it is very very hard to survive easily in this country without at least a high school degree (or GED) or an in-demand skill or talent.

Do you have a marketable skill or talent?

quincy

Here are two links, to New York’s Education Code and to Section 3205 of the Code:

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/EDN/A65P1

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/EDN/3205

New York has considered several bills in the past that would have raised the statewide mandatory age for school attendance from 16 to 17 but these bills have not had much support. New York has some school districts that have raised the dropout age to 17 - but these districts for the most part reported little difference in their overall dropout rates.

Some students just will not do the work required for, or do not see the value in, a high school degree ... until they are older.

I remained friends with two people from my high school who dropped out of school early. One got a job as a car mechanic after he left. He enjoyed (and still enjoys) the work, and he has made a comfortable life for himself. He’s a great mechanic. The other one vegetated at his parents’ house for awhile, bounced from one minimum wage job to another and, after several years, he decided to get a GED. He then went to college, and he is now a social worker.

They both did what was right for them at the time, and it worked out - but I would hazard a guess and say that many dropout outcomes are not as good.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">