• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you leave the state after a Federal Conviction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninalou

New York State, Manhattan district. An attorney was recently convicted by the Feds on 4 counts: Bribery, Conspiracy to commit bribery, Honest services fraud and Conspiracy to commit honest services fraud. Sentencing is not until August. He was not taken into custody the day the verdict was read but allowed to go back to his home. Today this man was present at a dog show in New Jersey without an ankle bracelet. When you are convicted of a crime in NY but not yet sentenced are you allowed to leave the state? We attempted to call the court but were given the run around - they told us they could not give us that information. Any advice would be appreciated.

quincy

New York State, Manhattan district. An attorney was recently convicted by the Feds on 4 counts: Bribery, Conspiracy to commit bribery, Honest services fraud and Conspiracy to commit honest services fraud. Sentencing is not until August. He was not taken into custody the day the verdict was read but allowed to go back to his home. Today this man was present at a dog show in New Jersey without an ankle bracelet. When you are convicted of a crime in NY but not yet sentenced are you allowed to leave the state? We attempted to call the court but were given the run around - they told us they could not give us that information. Any advice would be appreciated.
It depends on the terms of his release.

quincy

Thanks. Should this be public knowledge? If so where does one go to find it out?
Presentence reports are not public record.

The attorney apparently was not considered a flight risk.

Ankle bracelets can be well-hidden.

Last edited:

quincy

Thank you very much for your help.
You're welcome.

If he is sentenced to prison, you should have a few years where you can breathe without worry.

And I think you can feel somewhat confident that his current comings and goings are being monitored.

xylene

The show organizer should know you are being botheted by this guy at all, let alone credible threats...

xylene

Threats were made in the past. Ninalou did not say any threats were made at the dog show - just that the attorney was present.
I didn't say threatened though, I said bothered.

I think letting an event organizer know that you'd rather not be there if this person would is a reasonable thing to do, especially if this is a convicted felon. Maybe everyone hates this guy

justalayman

I think letting an event organizer know that you'd rather not be there if this person would is a reasonable thing to do, especially if this is a convicted felon. Maybe everyone hates this guy
being bothered by him being there is not the same as the attorney bothering the op while at the show. Being bothered by his presence is something the show people shouldn’t get involved in. It is based on subjective personal feelings. If the attorney was bothering the op, that is a different matter.

Maybe the only person in the world that hates this guy is the op. Op is likely to come across as a whiner.

PayrollHRGuy

I'm not sure why, ;), but I Ifind that the first part very doubtful.
It really doesn't matter if everyone in the world hates this guy. If this guy isn't violating the terms of his release and he isn't taking action to bother anyone their and they are simply bothered by his presence those that are bothered need to get over it or go elsewhere.

quincy

I am sure that those who were victims of the attorney's schemes are not real fond of him but, if the court allowed the attorney the freedom to travel to another state to attend a dog show and, while attending the dog show, he did nothing wrong, the fact that the attorney's presence bothered ninalou has little legal bearing.

Had several attendees at the event complained to the organizer about the attorney being at the dog show, perhaps the organizer might have asked the attorney to leave - but apparently no one did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">