• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cannabis possession MD - medical necessity clause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Janxster

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Hi. I have a question about Maryland’s affirmative defense of medical necessity clause (5-601) and its application to cultivation. MD law says If a conviction results, despite the fact that marijuana use is deemed to be medically necessary, the penalty may not exceed a fine of $100. And cultivation is seen as possession. Does this mean if you have a qualified condition and an MMCC card you have a medical necessity defense if caught cultivating 1 or 2 plants, if under the 50 lb limit. Have any cases been successfully argued using this defense? We’re they convicted and sentenced? Any info is appreciated.

Janx

quincy

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Hi. I have a question about Maryland’s affirmative defense of medical necessity clause (5-601) and its application to cultivation. MD law says If a conviction results, despite the fact that marijuana use is deemed to be medically necessary, the penalty may not exceed a fine of $100. And cultivation is seen as possession. Does this mean if you have a qualified condition and an MMCC card you have a medical necessity defense if caught cultivating 1 or 2 plants, if under the 50 lb limit. Have any cases been successfully argued using this defense? We’re they convicted and sentenced? Any info is appreciated.

Janx
What is the reason for your questions? Have you been arrested and charged - or are you looking ahead so you can avoid arrest and charges?

Here is a link to the laws:
https://norml.org/laws/item/maryland-penalties-2

Last edited:

Janxster

I do not have any charges. I did read the law hence the question. More specifically, I am wondering if this defense has been used in a case where a medical cannabis patient grew his own for personal use in MD.

quincy

The defense has been used but as a mitigating factor.

It is better to not need a defense of any kind because you carefully obey the limits on your medical use and possession and cultivation. If you are for some reason charged with possession, you will not want to rely on a medical necessity defense alone. You will want to rely on your attorney's advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">