• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can’t put my kids in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

Because, sometimes, parents want to spare their children from the teasing they will get otherwise. Or grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. provided something nicer...
lil'blu's other parents (My sister and BIL ;) ) often buy her things I could never afford. I can stretch a dollar so far you would think it was made out of super elastic bubble plastic...but could not have afforded her new laptop. Thank goodness for back-up parents. :cool:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Because, sometimes, parents want to spare their children from the teasing they will get otherwise. Or grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. provided something nicer...
Yeah, I was trying to hint at that.

Our district has 4 K-4 schools and then one 5-6 grade elementary school. For the children from the 2 more impoverished schools, it is a major culture shock to be tossed in with the "country club" school kids and the [old local family snob] school kids. The principal is clueless.

Pinkie39

Yeah, I was trying to hint at that.

Our district has 4 K-4 schools and then one 5-6 grade elementary school. For the children from the 2 more impoverished schools, it is a major culture shock to be tossed in with the "country club" school kids and the [old local family snob] school kids. The principal is clueless.
Sounds like the school district I live in. It's compromised of kids from three neighboring suburbs. I live in the least expensive of the three, in a 1920s rental house.

Housing among the three ranges from small older apartments, to average middle class houses to new million dollar homes.

My suburb has a very high percentage of immigrants as well, and the high school, which serves all 3 cities, has a big ESL program.

So the high school has kids from every socioeconomic level, from kids who have to walk to school, to kids who are handed brand new loaded cars when they turn 16. Recent immigrants to old money families.

I like that my kids are exposed to people from a lot of different backgrounds.

t74

In my state schools are giving students Ipads and Chromebooks yet cannot spring for pencils and paper towels.

i am horrified by families puting into the position of needing $300 plus for fees plus everything else. I am also frustrated to see supply lists require 10 glue sticks, multiple boxes of crayons and colored pencils, and many packs of paper or notebooks. I believe people should be able to supply supplies for their children but what is requested is way out of line.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In my state schools are giving students Ipads and Chromebooks yet cannot spring for pencils and paper towels.

i am horrified by families puting into the position of needing $300 plus for fees plus everything else. I am also frustrated to see supply lists require 10 glue sticks, multiple boxes of crayons and colored pencils, and many packs of paper or notebooks. I believe people should be able to supply supplies for their children but what is requested is way out of line.
That is why I bought extra this year and sent it into the school

LdiJ

That is why I rebel and buy smaller quantities than what they ask for. If more is needed later, I am happy to get more, but I am not providing 10 glue sticks all at once.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I used to buy spares, as well. BUT, I always wondered... how many of those extras went to kids whose families truly couldn't afford them, vs those whose parents figured there would be saps like me who'd provide...

HRZ

Unfortunately we live in times where ripping off the local public schools and local taxpayers is fair game with few if any negative consequences ....falsification of income to qualify for free or reduced lunch, massive abuse about paying for lunch if you don't qualily : some local parents are over $1000 each behind and unlikely to pay , massive falsification of where a child actually lives. : one local study came back that over 40% of children were in incorrect district for any number of reasons, almost total inaction to address students required to pay tuition and collection of same ....and throw in some absurd case law ( In Pa) which allows me to pay you to take and enroll my child in your local district for free ...and the list goes on and sometimes gets worse...example , if a charter school gets a 100% tuition reimbursement bonus for every student with an IEP and by law and regulation one cannot inspect the IEPs , how many bogus and unnecessary IEPs do you think get generated? And some wacky formulas which make such IEPs more lucratice than full tuition at Penn.

I don't know about glue sticks...but if you bring in a supply of pencils,and hand one out to a student who forgot his...it can be aggravating to have him proceed to sharpen it to nothing and ask for another one . Or watch several students you know are on free lunch dump most of thier lunch and proceed to stuff coins in the vending machines

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Or you have the "Housewife of <pick a state>" who flounces in "Oh they were out of glue sticks and crayons! But you have extra!" As you're trying to figure out how those extra 10 glue sticks, boxes of crayons, tissues, hand sanitizer, etc. that you bought will affect your grocery budget.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I used to buy spares, as well. BUT, I always wondered... how many of those extras went to kids whose families truly couldn't afford them, vs those whose parents figured there would be saps like me who'd provide...
Kids shouldn’t have to suffer for the parents though

LdiJ

When I was the PTA president for my daughter's school, which was oh so many years ago, I was making more money than I knew what to do with (sigh). I made a point of doing something significant for either my daughter's classroom or my daughter's grade level each year or even for the whole school. However, it almost never had to do with school supplies other than donating copy paper as I talked about before.

It was usually something really wanted, but not budgeted for.

laurakaye

Update as of 9/4/2018:

I have been talking to the OP and asked her if I could update the Forum about where she is with the situation. Here is her response. She posted this to me in a private message and I asked for her permission to post it here.

"Hi everyone just wanted give you all an update. I do have an attorney now and she has spoken with the school and so has a member of the Illinois school board of Education. Unfortunately the school is not budging still.

Last week my Lawyer asked me to go down to the school again and try and register them again. I did so and was told they will not register my kids. The principal also told me that those are the district rules and I can have my lawyer go after her company or whatever. So I just decided to leave instead of arguing with her. I am waiting for my lawyer to get back to me as she called ISBE again. Meanwhile I am teaching my kids in the home so they don’t fall behind."

I know that some of you have been wondering about her. Seems ludicrous to me that the school is taking such a hard line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">