• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can’t put my kids in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HRZ

In theory there is A fee waiver process for those unable to pay but you may need to dig to find it in IL

HRZ

If you qualify for free lunch you probably qualify for a fee waiver...check out lunch rules

Just Blue

If you qualify for free lunch you probably qualify for a fee waiver...check out lunch rules
Again. Go back and read OP's postings. S/He already stated what the school said about the free waiver. THAT is the problem s/he is having.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You cannot qualify for free lunch unless you apply for free lunch.
Your application for free/reduced cost lunches will not be processed unless you have child(ren) already registered in the school district.

Hence OP's problem.

I have found that sometimes it is a question on getting the right person in the office. My district doesn't have registration fees, but I had someone give me a hard time because they weren't satisfied with my proof of residency. I was given a thick stack of papers, notarized signatures from relatives verifying that I lived where I said I lived, and brought it all in, and the person at the desk refused it, saying it was totally unnecessary, and registered my kid. (And mind you, the school district ranks somewhere near the bottom.)

HRZ

The illinois st board of ed (GOOGLE )words it differently, you qualify for fee waivers if you meet the federal std for free or reduced price lunch whether you apply for same or not :eek:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The illinois st board of ed (GOOGLE )words it differently, you qualify for fee waivers if you meet the federal std for free or reduced price lunch whether you apply for same or not :eek:
And again, how does the school know you qualify?

*That* is OP's issue. OP is being asked to PAY the registration fee and THEN apply for the waiver.

I agree - the sane thing would be to have the registration AND the application for the waiver turned in the same time, and to have the registration "pending" until it is determined that indeed the household qualifies for a waiver.

(Also, depending on the school, there may be no free/reduced lunch application. Some schools offer all students free breakfast and lunch.)

LdiJ

And again, how does the school know you qualify?

*That* is OP's issue. OP is being asked to PAY the registration fee and THEN apply for the waiver.

I agree - the sane thing would be to have the registration AND the application for the waiver turned in the same time.

(Also, depending on the school, there may be no free/reduced lunch application. Some schools offer all students free breakfast and lunch.)
The bolded just seems absurd to me. If someone has the money to pay the fee they wouldn't need the waiver. They need the waiver because they do not have the money to pay the fee.

quincy

It is absurd. It's disgusting. The idea of preventing children from getting an education because their parents can't afford a fee sickens me.
It is possible that there was a miscommunication and the school was simply saying a fee-waiver application must be filled out first - or it is also possible that the person spoken to at the school didn't her/himself understand what the process for obtaining a waiver is.

Legal Aid should be able to get to the root of the problem and assist in getting the student enrolled.

LdiJ

It is possible that there was a miscommunication and the school was simply saying a fee-waiver application must be filled out first - or it is also possible that the person spoken to at the school didn't her/himself understand what the process for obtaining a waiver is.

Legal Aid should be able to get to the root of the problem and assist in getting the student enrolled.
I would try the school district's superintendent's office first. If it is a miscommunication issue they can straighten it out. If that doesn't work then yes, I would go with legal aid.

quincy

I would try the school district's superintendent's office first. If it is a miscommunication issue they can straighten it out. If that doesn't work then yes, I would go with legal aid.
That could be a good first step although having a lawyer contact the school might result in faster answers and a faster resolution. :)

quincy

I dunno...my experience has been that in school matters the superintendent's office can fix things pretty quick.
Either route would be a good one to take. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try to get it cleared up through the school first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">