• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital Gains on the Sale of a Partial Release land Parcel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
By doing this, will I have to pay capital gains on the sale of the 3 acres? Is there a way to avoid capital gains by doing this? Thanks.
You will have to pay the capital gain on the sale of the vacant land and will not be able to apply the capital gain exclusion for the sale of a principal to the sale of the land unless you also sell the land containing your home within two years from the date you sell the vacant lot. If you make the sale of your principal residence within two years then the sale of the land and the sale of the principal residence will be viewed as a single sale for purposes of figuring out how much taxable gain you have after applying the gain exclusion. Apart from this one circumstance, your sale of the vacant land is subject to capital gain tax like the sale of any other land that is not your principal residence, meaning there is no gain exclusion available to help you reduce the gain.

Specifically, Treas. Reg. § 1.121-1(b)(3) states:

(3) Vacant land—(i) In general. The sale or exchange of vacant land is not a sale or exchange of the taxpayer's principal residence unless—
(A) The vacant land is adjacent to land containing the dwelling unit of the taxpayer's principal residence;
(B) The taxpayer owned and used the vacant land as part of the taxpayer's principal residence;
(C) The taxpayer sells or exchanges the dwelling unit in a sale or exchange that meets the requirements of section 121 within 2 years before or 2 years after the date of the sale or exchange of the vacant land; and
(D) The requirements of section 121 have otherwise been met with respect to the vacant land.

(ii) Limitations—(A) Maximum limitation amount. For purposes of section 121(b)(1) and (2) (relating to the maximum limitation amount of the section 121 exclusion), the sale or exchange of the dwelling unit and the vacant land are treated as one sale or exchange. Therefore, only one maximum limitation amount of $250,000 ($500,000 for certain joint returns) applies to the combined sales or exchanges of vacant land and the dwelling unit. In applying the maximum limitation amount to sales or exchanges that occur in different taxable years, gain from the sale or exchange of the dwelling unit, up to the maximum limitation amount under section 121(b)(1) or (2), is excluded first and each spouse is treated as excluding one-half of the gain from a sale or exchange to which section 121(b)(2)(A) and § 1.121–2(a)(3)(i) (relating to the limitation for certain joint returns) apply.
(B) Sale or exchange of more than one principal residence in 2–year period. If a dwelling unit and vacant land are sold or exchanged in separate transactions that qualify for the section 121 exclusion under this paragraph (b)(3), each of the transactions is disregarded in applying section 121(b)(3) (restricting the application of section 121 to only 1 sale or exchange every 2 years) to the other transactions but is taken into account as a sale or exchange of a principal residence on the date of the transaction in applying section 121(b)(3) to that transaction and the sale or exchange of any other principal residence.
(C) Sale or exchange of vacant land before dwelling unit. If the sale or exchange of the dwelling unit occurs in a later taxable year than the sale or exchange of the vacant land and after the date prescribed by law (including extensions) for the filing of the return for the taxable year of the sale or exchange of the vacant land, any gain from the sale or exchange of the vacant land must be treated as taxable on the taxpayer's return for the taxable year of the sale or exchange of the vacant land. If the taxpayer has reported gain from the sale or exchange of the vacant land as taxable, after satisfying the requirements of this paragraph (b)(3) the taxpayer may claim the section 121 exclusion with regard to the sale or exchange of the vacant land (for any period for which the period of limitation under section 6511 has not expired) by filing an amended return.

(4) Examples. The provisions of this paragraph (b) are illustrated by the following examples:
Example 1. Taxpayer A owns 2 residences, one in New York and one in Florida. From 1999 through 2004, he lives in the New York residence for 7 months and the Florida residence for 5 months of each year. In the absence of facts and circumstances indicating otherwise, the New York residence is A's principal residence. A would be eligible for the section 121 exclusion of gain from the sale or exchange of the New York residence, but not the Florida residence.
Example 2. Taxpayer B owns 2 residences, one in Virginia and one in Maine. During 1999 and 2000, she lives in the Virginia residence. During 2001 and 2002, she lives in the Maine residence. During 2003, she lives in the Virginia residence. B's principal residence during 1999, 2000, and 2003 is the Virginia residence. B's principal residence during 2001 and 2002 is the Maine residence. B would be eligible for the 121 exclusion of gain from the sale or exchange of either residence (but not both) during 2003.
Example 3. In 1991 Taxpayer C buys property consisting of a house and 10 acres that she uses as her principal residence. In May 2005 C sells 8 acres of the land and realizes a gain of $110,000. C does not sell the dwelling unit before the due date for filing C's 2005 return, therefore C is not eligible to exclude the $110,000 of gain. In March 2007 C sells the house and remaining 2 acres realizing a gain of $180,000 from the sale of the house. C may exclude the $180,000 of gain. Because the sale of the 8 acres occurred within 2 years from the date of the sale of the dwelling unit, the sale of the 8 acres is treated as a sale of the taxpayer's principal residence under paragraph (b)(3) of this section. C may file an amended return for 2005 to claim an exclusion for $70,000 ($250,000–$180,000 gain previously excluded) of the $110,000 gain from the sale of the 8 acres.
Example 4. In 1998 Taxpayer D buys a house and 1 acre that he uses as his principal residence. In 1999 D buys 29 acres adjacent to his house and uses the vacant land as part of his principal residence. In 2003 D sells the house and 1 acre and the 29 acres in 2 separate transactions. D sells the house and 1 acre at a loss of $25,000. D realizes $270,000 of gain from the sale of the 29 acres. D may exclude the $245,000 gain from the 2 sales.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You would allocate basis to that portion of the land based on what acreage in the area was with per acre when you bought it.
That makes it sound like you'd take the basis of the home and split it based on acreage, and thus when the 6 acres are split into two parcels of land of 3 acres each, one with a house and one without a house, the basis would be split 50% to each parcel. That is obviously not correct. You allocate the basis by determining the fair market value (FMV) of each parcel and then multiply the fraction of value allocated to the parcel you are selling by the adjusted basis in the property. See page 4 of IRS publication 551. So, let's say that the FMV of the entire property if you sold it today is $200,000 and the vacant lot is being sold for $50,000. And let's say the taxpayer's adjusted basis in the entire property is $100,000. The basis for the sale of the vacant lot is thus: $50,000/$200,000 = 25% of the entire FMV allocated to the sold parcel, and then 25% of the $100,000 basis = $25,000 basis allocated to the vacant lot. The result is a $25,000 gain ($50,000 sales price - $25,000 allocated basis).

LdiJ

That makes it sound like you'd take the basis of the home and split it based on acreage, and thus when the 6 acres are split into two parcels of land of 3 acres each, one with a house and one without a house, the basis would be split 50% to each parcel. That is obviously not correct. You allocate the basis by determining the fair market value (FMV) of each parcel and then multiply the fraction of value allocated to the parcel you are selling by the adjusted basis in the property. See page 4 of IRS publication 551. So, let's say that the FMV of the entire property if you sold it today is $200,000 and the vacant lot is being sold for $50,000. And let's say the taxpayer's adjusted basis in the entire property is $100,000. The basis for the sale of the vacant lot is thus: $50,000/$200,000 = 25% of the entire FMV allocated to the sold parcel, and then 25% of the $100,000 basis = $25,000 basis allocated to the vacant lot. The result is a $25,000 gain ($50,000 sales price - $25,000 allocated basis).
That is certainly not how I intended to make it sound. How I intended to make it sound was that if the total basis of the property was 200k, and the FMV of acreage alone (without a house on it) was 10,000 an acre at the time, then it would be fair to assign 30k as the basis for the 3 acres, and to reduce the basis of the rest of the property to 170k.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
How I intended to make it sound was that if the total basis of the property was 200k, and the FMV of acreage alone (without a house on it) was 10,000 an acre at the time, then it would be fair to assign 30k as the basis for the 3 acres, and to reduce the basis of the rest of the property to 170k.
That would also be wrong. In your example you would have the value of the 3 acres as $30,000. Then you say you are reducing basis in the remaining property by that $30,000 value. Implicit in that is that you are assigning $30,000 of basis to the 3 acres being sold for $30,000. That would mean zero gain or loss. That is not the right answer.

Reread my previous post. You need to determine the FMV of both the lot being sold and what is being retained. You can do that by determining the FMV of the lot as a whole and then subtracting from it the sale price of the lot being sold (since an arms length sales price is the best indicator of FMV for that lot) to determine the FMV of the lot you are keeping. You then use the ratio of the values between the two lots to allocate the adjusted basis. That's what I did in my example in my previous post.

LdiJ

That would also be wrong. In your example you would have the value of the 3 acres as $30,000. Then you say you are reducing basis in the remaining property by that $30,000 value. Implicit in that is that you are assigning $30,000 of basis to the 3 acres being sold for $30,000. That would mean zero gain or loss. That is not the right answer.

Reread my previous post. You need to determine the FMV of both the lot being sold and what is being retained. You can do that by determining the FMV of the lot as a whole and then subtracting from it the sale price of the lot being sold (since an arms length sales price is the best indicator of FMV for that lot) to determine the FMV of the lot you are keeping. You then use the ratio of the values between the two lots to allocate the adjusted basis. That's what I did in my example in my previous post.
I am clearly explaining myself poorly. However, I have never known anyone in our industry to calculate land basis the way that you are doing it.

JamesWhitney

You will have to pay the capital gain on the sale of the vacant land and will not be able to apply the capital gain exclusion for the sale of a principal to the sale of the land unless you also sell the land containing your home within two years from the date you sell the vacant lot. If you make the sale of your principal residence within two years then the sale of the land and the sale of the principal residence will be viewed as a single sale for purposes of figuring out how much taxable gain you have after applying the gain exclusion. Apart from this one circumstance, your sale of the vacant land is subject to capital gain tax like the sale of any other land that is not your principal residence, meaning there is no gain exclusion available to help you reduce the gain.

Specifically, Treas. Reg. § 1.121-1(b)(3) states:

(3) Vacant land—(i) In general. The sale or exchange of vacant land is not a sale or exchange of the taxpayer's principal residence unless—
(A) The vacant land is adjacent to land containing the dwelling unit of the taxpayer's principal residence;
(B) The taxpayer owned and used the vacant land as part of the taxpayer's principal residence;
(C) The taxpayer sells or exchanges the dwelling unit in a sale or exchange that meets the requirements of section 121 within 2 years before or 2 years after the date of the sale or exchange of the vacant land; and
(D) The requirements of section 121 have otherwise been met with respect to the vacant land.

(ii) Limitations—(A) Maximum limitation amount. For purposes of section 121(b)(1) and (2) (relating to the maximum limitation amount of the section 121 exclusion), the sale or exchange of the dwelling unit and the vacant land are treated as one sale or exchange. Therefore, only one maximum limitation amount of $250,000 ($500,000 for certain joint returns) applies to the combined sales or exchanges of vacant land and the dwelling unit. In applying the maximum limitation amount to sales or exchanges that occur in different taxable years, gain from the sale or exchange of the dwelling unit, up to the maximum limitation amount under section 121(b)(1) or (2), is excluded first and each spouse is treated as excluding one-half of the gain from a sale or exchange to which section 121(b)(2)(A) and § 1.121–2(a)(3)(i) (relating to the limitation for certain joint returns) apply.
(B) Sale or exchange of more than one principal residence in 2–year period. If a dwelling unit and vacant land are sold or exchanged in separate transactions that qualify for the section 121 exclusion under this paragraph (b)(3), each of the transactions is disregarded in applying section 121(b)(3) (restricting the application of section 121 to only 1 sale or exchange every 2 years) to the other transactions but is taken into account as a sale or exchange of a principal residence on the date of the transaction in applying section 121(b)(3) to that transaction and the sale or exchange of any other principal residence.
(C) Sale or exchange of vacant land before dwelling unit. If the sale or exchange of the dwelling unit occurs in a later taxable year than the sale or exchange of the vacant land and after the date prescribed by law (including extensions) for the filing of the return for the taxable year of the sale or exchange of the vacant land, any gain from the sale or exchange of the vacant land must be treated as taxable on the taxpayer's return for the taxable year of the sale or exchange of the vacant land. If the taxpayer has reported gain from the sale or exchange of the vacant land as taxable, after satisfying the requirements of this paragraph (b)(3) the taxpayer may claim the section 121 exclusion with regard to the sale or exchange of the vacant land (for any period for which the period of limitation under section 6511 has not expired) by filing an amended return.

(4) Examples. The provisions of this paragraph (b) are illustrated by the following examples:
Example 1. Taxpayer A owns 2 residences, one in New York and one in Florida. From 1999 through 2004, he lives in the New York residence for 7 months and the Florida residence for 5 months of each year. In the absence of facts and circumstances indicating otherwise, the New York residence is A's principal residence. A would be eligible for the section 121 exclusion of gain from the sale or exchange of the New York residence, but not the Florida residence.
Example 2. Taxpayer B owns 2 residences, one in Virginia and one in Maine. During 1999 and 2000, she lives in the Virginia residence. During 2001 and 2002, she lives in the Maine residence. During 2003, she lives in the Virginia residence. B's principal residence during 1999, 2000, and 2003 is the Virginia residence. B's principal residence during 2001 and 2002 is the Maine residence. B would be eligible for the 121 exclusion of gain from the sale or exchange of either residence (but not both) during 2003.
Example 3. In 1991 Taxpayer C buys property consisting of a house and 10 acres that she uses as her principal residence. In May 2005 C sells 8 acres of the land and realizes a gain of $110,000. C does not sell the dwelling unit before the due date for filing C's 2005 return, therefore C is not eligible to exclude the $110,000 of gain. In March 2007 C sells the house and remaining 2 acres realizing a gain of $180,000 from the sale of the house. C may exclude the $180,000 of gain. Because the sale of the 8 acres occurred within 2 years from the date of the sale of the dwelling unit, the sale of the 8 acres is treated as a sale of the taxpayer's principal residence under paragraph (b)(3) of this section. C may file an amended return for 2005 to claim an exclusion for $70,000 ($250,000–$180,000 gain previously excluded) of the $110,000 gain from the sale of the 8 acres.
Example 4. In 1998 Taxpayer D buys a house and 1 acre that he uses as his principal residence. In 1999 D buys 29 acres adjacent to his house and uses the vacant land as part of his principal residence. In 2003 D sells the house and 1 acre and the 29 acres in 2 separate transactions. D sells the house and 1 acre at a loss of $25,000. D realizes $270,000 of gain from the sale of the 29 acres. D may exclude the $245,000 gain from the 2 sales.
Thank you so much for this information.

JamesWhitney

Additional question on this topic, before I sell the subdivided parcel, I'd like to move ownership of it into an LLC I own (via Quit Claim deed) then prior to selling my primary residence before the 2 year time period is up, Quit Claim Deed it back into my name. My question is would this still be viewed as a single sale for purposes of figuring out how much taxable gain I have after applying the gain exclusion? Or would it cause issues with the tax requirements?

JamesWhitney

Additional question on this topic, before I sell the subdivided parcel, I'd like to move ownership of it into an LLC I own (via Quit Claim deed). Then I plan on selling the primary residence within the two year required period. My question is would this still be viewed as a single sale for purposes of figuring out how much taxable gain I have after applying the gain exclusion? Or would moving it to the LLC cause issues with the tax requirements?

Last edited:

LdiJ

Additional question on this topic, before I sell the subdivided parcel, I'd like to move ownership of it into an LLC I own (via Quit Claim deed) then prior to selling my primary residence before the 2 year time period is up, Quit Claim Deed it back into my name. My question is would this still be viewed as a single sale for purposes of figuring out how much taxable gain I have after applying the gain exclusion? Or would it cause issues with the tax requirements?
While I agree with Flyingron's comment I don't grasp why you would want to do it in the first place. Please explain what advantage you think it's going to give you to quit claim it out of your name and into an LLC, and then to quit claim it back to you?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I see no real benefit to doing that except in very unusual circumstances. What is the purpose of doing the transfer to the LLC and then back you just before sale? In any event, if it is a single member LLC and assuming that you've not elected for the LLC to be treated as a corporation, then for federal income tax purposes both the transfer to the LLC and the transfer back are ignored and would have no impact on qualifying for the exclusion of gain on the sale of your principal residence.

But there might be an impact for state income tax, state/local property taxes, and/or a tax on the transfers themselves (which goes by various names depending on the state, e.g. real estate transfer tax, document tax, etc).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">