• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital gains

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robbob

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Please let me know if I'm figuring this correctly. I recently sold a condo which I owned for less than two years. I beleive I owe a capital gains tax of 35%. After paying the real estate agents etc. I received a check for $23,000. The condo was purchased for $160,000, and sold for $185,000. ( I owed $151,000 ) So, this would mean I need to set aside $8,050 for the tax guys in April. Is this right, am I missing anything? Thanks!

abezon

If you owned the condo for more than 1 year, your max tax rate is 18%. However, keep in mind that the $23,000 is added to your income & may bump your other income into a higher tax bracket. If this is a possibility, go see a tax advisor now with a copy of the closing docs from the purchase & sale & last year's tax return. S/he can figure out an approximate tax liability for 2003.

Was the condo your primary residence or a rental? Why did you sell it? You might qualify for a reduced primary home exclusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">