• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident and my insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janedoe23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana and Illinois

Just wanted to throw out what had happened and if anyone can offer advice.

Yesterday 9/13 I was with a couple friends and was the front passenger. We were headed towards an intersection heading East and a person who was headed West wanted to make a left and go South. She must not have seen us because she made the left right in front of us. There was no time to brake. Impact was at about 45 mph and airbags did deploy. The other driver got out of her car inspected it and then took off. We only got vehicle description and person description and as of now the police have nobody of interest.

My friend, the owner of the car, only has liability insurance. I suffered burns to my arms from the airbags, bruising to the chest from the airbag, of course the back and neck aches and also I believe a seat belt bruise. My question is since she didn't have insurance and obviously we have no information on the other person, can I use my own car insurance to cover me? I thought I have heard of that happening? Now I know I have full coverage but this is what lists on my insurance card: BI, PD, MED, COMP, COLL, UM/UIM, UMPD, and REN. Does any of this help me? Needed to know because I have no health insurance on myself and can't afford to go to ER unless I know my bills will get paid.

ETA: My insurance and place of residence is in Indiana, accident happened in Illinois.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">