• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident resulting in 2 deaths and injured passenger, will i be sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oldpumpkin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Michigan.

ok, i wasn't at fault in this situation. other driver is at %100 fault

I wasn't impaired or anything. i was driving my truck and i had a friend as a passenger riding with me. a drunk motorcyclist that had a passenger with him, both werent wearing helmets, ran a stop side in front of me. i hit them and they both flew off, i ended up spinning out and rolling my truck into a ditch, passenger shattered arm and broke some other bones, i broke a foot and wrist as well.

both people on the motorcycle died. police came, ambulance. reports were made, me and my friend rode to the hospital in a ambulance. they did blood tests on us. marijuana was found in my system,i ended up being charged(later on) with impaired driving but prosecutors ended up dropping the charge because i had a valid medical marijuana card and police couldnt prove that i was impaired.

it turned out the driver of the motorcycle was over the legal limit to drive, had a suspended license and no insurance.

I had insurance at the time of the accident thankfully(insurance is in my name). I actually got the best bodily coverage and unisurance motorist coverage than i can get with my insurance. the bodily limit i had is at $500,000 per accident, and i had my uninsured motorist coverage at $500,000 as well. i just didnt have collision coverage, so my wrecked truck wont be replaced.

so my question is, can i be sued? will my insurance companies have to pay the funerals of the motorcycle driver and passenger?

will my friends medical bills be covered by my insurance?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Michigan.

so my question is, can i be sued?
While anyone involved could file a lawsuit against you out of this, the real question I think you want to know is whether any such suit would be successful. The answer to that is that in order to win in a lawsuit the plaintiff (the person suing you) must prove that you were at fault in the accident. Moreover, the Michigan no fault insurance system limits what you can be sued for. See the following information from the Michigan Department of Insurance on how that system works:

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_ip202_25083_7.pdf

will my insurance companies have to pay the funerals of the motorcycle driver and passenger?
Unless you were at fault the answer to this is no.

will my friends medical bills be covered by my insurance?
Yes, unless your friend had insurance on his own vehicle that provides the PIP coverage for him. The document I linked above explains this.

oldpumpkin

That's a silly question - of course you can. I hope you already reported this to your insurance company.

Who determined that you have no fault in the accident?
yes it has been reported to insurance company, the company did say the motorcyclist was at %100 fault

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you are sued then your insurance company will defend you. Be aware that most of the time lawsuits do not get filed quickly. Looks like in Michigan there is a two year time limit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">