• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident while working, employer placing all liability on me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commentator

Had it happen to me. I was doing 55 in the left lane of a 4 lane divided US highway. Old couple pulled from a fast food restaurant directly in the left lane where I was and I hit them from behind since they weren't exactly accelerating to traffic speed and I couldn't slow in time to avoid hitting them. Wasn't at fault.
See, since we're all looking at the elephant from our point of view, I was stopped in a traffic jam and a car rear ended me, knocked my car into the rear end of the car in front of me, which knocked the car in front of me into the car in front of it, etc....anyhow, my insurance had to pay for the car I rear-ended, the car that hit me paid for my car and damages, etc. All up the line. And at that point both the police working the accident and my insurance company told me, "If you hit someone in the rear end, it is considered your "at fault'" So that's where I'm coming from. Heck if you are distributing blame, I was stopped in the left lane of a busy highway, so I guess I was just asking to be hit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
See, since we're all looking at the elephant from our point of view, I was stopped in a traffic jam and a car rear ended me, knocked my car into the rear end of the car in front of me, which knocked the car in front of me into the car in front of it, etc....anyhow, my insurance had to pay for the car I rear-ended, the car that hit me paid for my car and damages, etc. All up the line. And at that point both the police working the accident and my insurance company told me, "If you hit someone in the rear end, it is considered your "at fault'" So that's where I'm coming from. Heck if you are distributing blame, I was stopped in the left lane of a busy highway, so I guess I was just asking to be hit.
Your insurance company screwed you. The situation you described is one of the situations in which you are NOT at fault. If you were stopped and then hit from behind pushing you in to the vehicle in front of you, then you are NOT at fault. And, yes, I had this EXACT situation happen. The person that hit me was responsible for my damages and the damage to the vehicle in front of me.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Your insurance company screwed you. The situation you described is one of the situations in which you are NOT at fault. If you were stopped and then hit from behind pushing you in to the vehicle in front of you, then you are NOT at fault. And, yes, I had this EXACT situation happen. The person that hit me was responsible for my damages and the damage to the vehicle in front of me.
I've had the same situation happen to me. Little car in front of me at red light. Me in my huge Ford Torino. Little Honda came over the hill and rear-ended the Torino. Honda paid for all damages (not that I had any-but have you ever seen the remains of a small car vs. Torino?). :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">