• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


David H

Dear Sir, My wife and child were in a car accident on 21 May. It was not their fault. My wife was hit, while the other person ran a red light. That person was sighted and DWS. That person has not contacted us. I've turned it over to my insurance company. Our Van was totaled and we have medical bills. I've been getting certain advice. Not sure if I should speak to an attorney or not.


Senior Member
I do not practice Accident / Personal Injury Law, but you certainly should.

Your ability to collect a fair amount from the other side's insurance company for pain and suffering (if there is real injury and damages) is slim to none -- they habitually take advantage of people without a lawyer. To them you are a babe in the woods. Your own insurance company should pay to repair the car (if you have collision insurance) and may also pay the medical bills. It in turn would seek to collect from the at fault driver's company if any.

Lawyers work on a contingency fee in these types of cases -- they charge you a percentage of what they collect when and if they collect. Check out Auto Accidents on FreeAdvice.com now -- the NY Times called it the ideal place to start on May 11th.

This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

lars coltrane

I have been doing personal injury work for many years. So you know, you just got great advice.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential