• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car caught fire while at the dealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seabean0106

What is the name of your state? Texas

Purchased my car on 1.24.18 Had my vehicle towed to the dealer on Jan 23, 2019 because it wouldn’t start. I disconnected the battery because I thought I smelled a faint burning smell and was concerned. Called for an update later that day and was told all was good but they hadn’t looked at it yet. I called on the 24th for another update and was told “In the process of getting it into the bay on the 23rd a small fire broke out in the interior of the car.” I asked why I was not informed of this and he couldn’t provide an answer. The manufacturer has sent out an investigator to identify the cause. That happened on 2.1.19. The dealer, investigator, and the manufacturer are no longer sharing information with me. I’m being told that the “Special Investigations Dpt” has the case but I’m not being told anything further. I need to know if I have any legal action to take. I have seen my car once since the fire and the smell is terrible. I’m concerned about the overall safety of the car now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think you're jumping the gun. Not every odd thing that happens means that you won the lawsuit lottery.

Zigner

I apologize - I should have been more cognizant of the fragile nature of your feelings on this matter. I will restate below:

I think you're jumping the gun. Not odd thing that happens needs to be resolved through litigation, especially prior to even knowing the underlying cause of the matter.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thanks for your unhelpful remark. I don’t recall playing the “lawsuit lottery.” If you have nothing constructive to add, why say anything at all?
Until the cause of the fire is known, it is impossible to know what legal action you should take - or if it makes sense for you to pursue legal action at all.

You do not know if the fire was caused by negligent actions at the garage by garage employees. (Garage would be responsible.)

You do not know if the fire was caused by a defect in the car itself. (Potentially a manufacturer's responsibility.)

You do not know if the fire was caused by arson.

And so on.

So wait and see.

Zigner

It's also entirely possible that the dealer/manufacturer will accept responsibility and treat the OP right. Lawsuit is rarely the first thing that should be considered so early.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">