• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car dealership won't accept car as voluntary repo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Miadora

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nj. Dad died 2 months into a 3 year lease. Tried to drop off at dealer today but they said I can't leave it there. They wouldn't take death cert. And just said I had to call the finance company (Acura) to see what to do. Just noticed on back of lease agreement "if lease is terminated early I agree to return vehicle to the dealer's address ". What should I do ?

Miadora

Also confused about why bank wrote check to "estate" instead of me or sister since we are officially co-executors and only heirs. Also, is there ANY way out of the car lease situation ? The dealer already ripped off my dad on trade in (2006 Acura TL with 68,000 miles on it, only got $1,500 if that. All parts on lease that mentions trade-in are marked N/A

LdiJ

Also confused about why bank wrote check to "estate" instead of me or sister since we are officially co-executors and only heirs. Also, is there ANY way out of the car lease situation ? The dealer already ripped off my dad on trade in (2006 Acura TL with 68,000 miles on it, only got $1,500 if that. All parts on lease that mentions trade-in are marked N/A
You need to call the finance company and discuss the car with them. There will be a procedure to relinquish the car. That is what the dealer told you to do, therefore I do not understand your reluctance to do so.

The bank wrote a check to your father's estate because that is how the bank is supposed to do that. It was up to the executors of the estate to get an EIN for the estate and to open an estate bank account to deposit any checks received by the estate. Once all of the debts of the estate are settled and probate is completed then the remaining money in the estate account can be distributed to the heirs.

Miadora

You need to call the finance company and discuss the car with them. There will be a procedure to relinquish the car. That is what the dealer told you to do, therefore I do not understand your reluctance to do so.

The bank wrote a check to your father's estate because that is how the bank is supposed to do that. It was up to the executors of the estate to get an EIN for the estate and to open an estate bank account to deposit any checks received by the estate. Once all of the debts of the estate are settled and probate is completed then the remaining money in the estate account can be distributed to the heirs.
Who or how does estate get "probated" ? I was told by a frind in car finance business that you just drop car off at dealer, also policeman told me that. I called finance company but they started asking me questions about my dads assets so I hung up. This seems so unfair...to pay 10 or 20 thousand dollars to company AND give them back car . Is there ANY way out of this ? They already ripped him off when he was alive when he got practically nothing for his trade in, 2006 Acura TL, 68,000 miles ($1,500)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Who or how does estate get "probated" ? I was told by a frind in car finance business that you just drop car off at dealer, also policeman told me that. I called finance company but they started asking me questions about my dads assets so I hung up. This seems so unfair...to pay 10 or 20 thousand dollars to company AND give them back car . Is there ANY way out of this ? They already ripped him off when he was alive when he got practically nothing for his trade in, 2006 Acura TL, 68,000 miles ($1,500)
Your friend and the policeman are wrong. The dealership is a private business and has no ownership interest in the vehicle. As you were told before, contact the leasing company for guidance.

AdoptADog

Someone needs to go to the courthouse with the will and death certificate to open probate, and an executor will be appointed. It can be you. You can ask that you and your sister be appointed.

As to the vehicles, he LEASED the car, he never would have been able to keep it, unless he purchased it at the end of the lease. He negotiated the trade. He agreed to the $1500.00 trade in value. Good or bad deal, he agreed to it.

Miadora

Thanks for advice. We are already court appointed co-executors. Back of lease agreement says that car must be turned in back to dealer if early termination.Als, I contacted a consumer law attorney about being ripped off on trade in and they seemed pretty interested in the case , especially since my dad was on lots of diff. meds when he leased the car. Maybe that migt also be a way to not get stuck with paying for a three year lease and having nothing to show for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">