• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car fax Omission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NC here and Hello, here’s my story, I bought a truck from a dealer with 24000 miles on truck but car fax so 20000, that’s the first thing then I read the entries which the first few are normal, oil change and regular maintenance done, it is item by item what they did,
So after a couple of those there’s an entry that simply says transmission check, that’s it, the next entry says drivability performance checked, the other couple of entries were normal, explained what they are,, so I’m driving the other day and have a problem so I call a dealer, mind you it’s the same dealer different location closer to home, I explained what’s going on and what I though it was, then the gentleman on the phone says we already fixed it for that truck and I said oh??? He then explained what was done, I asked if I could have a copy of service records and he gave them to me, it was complaints and a request to have it tested to determine problem,( that’s the trans check,) dates and mileage correspond, then next service sheet was the problem I’m having now and that it was fixed, the parts replaced, and again the dates correspond to the car fax where it was Not explained what was done, so there is a history of problems, had this information been included in the Car fax, I would not have purchased this truck, ps the dealer handed me the report, what are your thoughts please.

And there was entries there corresponding with dates and mileage but no info about service done that’s a dealer leaving off info to sell a truck

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can NOT rely on Carfax as the end-all/be-all on a car's history. It is a private for-profit company that has no force of law.

I am not relying on Carfax I have documentation from the dealership about these problems and what was fixed and replaced and they did not give info when asked about it before buying truck that’s misleading

Zigner

I am not relying on Carfax I have documentation from the dealership about these problems and what was fixed and replaced and they did not give info when asked about it before buying truck that’s misleading
How do you intend to prove that the selling dealership knew about it? Dealerships are franchises. One dealership doesn't necessarily know what the other does.

Zigner

I'd also like to point out a couple of things. You were on notice that work was performed and who performed it (it's included on the report). You had the opportunity to explore it further. Additionally, if the problem was fixed, then there's nothing to tell you.

I did inquire as to what took place and was told there was nothing wrong it was just a driver that kept thinking something is wrong and they found no issues, I also was told when I asked why traded in so quick and the reply was he went to an F 250

Zigner

I did inquire as to what took place and was told there was nothing wrong it was just a driver that kept thinking something is wrong and they found no issues, I also was told when I asked why traded in so quick and the reply was he went to an F 250
Perhaps that is all the salesman knew.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">