• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car sold as is

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in Louisiana and I purchased a car as is and was told by the dealership that the car had a warranty. The car was purchased November 17, 2018 and two weeks later it was in the shop. The car needs a new engine. What steps should I take to get my money back? Am I covered under lemon law?

PayrollHRGuy

What year model car?

LA lemon law is on new cars only in the first year after delivery.

DId you get a written warranty that the dealership mentioned? "As is" generally means no warranty.

quincy

The lemon law can cover used vehicles up to 30 days after purchase but it appears the lemon law on your as-is vehicle sale does not apply. What does your Buyers Guide say?

quincy

You need to read the warranty you were sold very closely. In fact, you should likely have a lawyer look over it.
I agree that the warranty purchased from the dealer should be read carefully to see what it says about "preexisting" conditions. That said, the need for a new engine should have been something an independent inspection would have detected.

PayrollHRGuy

While I fully agree that there should have been a purchase inspection it really depends why the engine failed if it would have been found in one.

I can't imagine an actual warranty purchased with a used car that would have a pre-existing exclusion that didn't list exactly what was being excluded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">