• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caregivers are not taking care of the patients. Too busy on their cell phones.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To offer them, maybe. I think it's questionable that it's a "right" but okay, we'll let that go.

To enforce them, however, no you most certainly do not. Your post history suggests that you like to try to control other people's behavior and that is not a right.

Years ago I worked in an office that had about 20 women taking incoming calls.
Trouble was that they spent most of their time making and receiving calls to and from their friends and family to the detriment of the business.
The owner blocked all incoming and outgoing calls except to customer numbers and received the expected cries of "What happens if I need to be contacted in an emergency?"
His answer was to put a single phone on a small table in the middle of the office that had no blocking and told them to give everyone that as their contact number. ;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The issue is not whether cell phones in the workplace are good or bad. The issue is whether the OP has the right to demand a change in policy over something that does not appear to affect her at all.

quincy

The issue is not whether cell phones in the workplace are good or bad. The issue is whether the OP has the right to demand a change in policy over something that does not appear to affect her at all.
I understood that :) and I agree with the previous responses that said that changes are not up to her.

bcr229

Perhaps OP should simply find another employer with policies that are more in line with having employees who don't sit around with their noses in their phones all day rather than working.

I have had one employer that prohibited cell phones in the facility and they were really harsh about it.

Eekamouse

I have a right to offer my opinions at work. The elderly are being neglected and ignored by their caregivers. That's not OK.
Can you back up your neglect accusations with proof? They will ask you for it before taking your sage advice.

Last edited:

quincy

... The elderly are being neglected and ignored by their caregivers. That's not OK.
If the residents of the assisted living facility are being neglected by the facility’s staff, and the residents’ health and safety is compromised as a result, you probably should think about reporting this neglect to the State before trying to change the cell phone policy. Here is a link to filing a report: https://ahca.myflorida.com/MCHQ/Field_Ops/CAU.shtml

FreeAdvice has a forum member who (if memory serves me) works in an assisted living facility. Perhaps he will stop by to offer some advice.

Just Blue

If the residents of the assisted living facility are being neglected by the facility’s staff, and the residents’ health and safety is compromised as a result, you probably should think about reporting this neglect to the State before trying to change the cell phone policy. Here is a link to filing a report: https://ahca.myflorida.com/MCHQ/Field_Ops/CAU.shtml

FreeAdvice has a forum member who (if memory serves me) works in an assisted living facility. Perhaps he will stop by to offer some advice.
Who is that?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The Michigan Supreme Court amended court rules recently to ALLOW for cell phones in courtrooms, with the rule change to be fully implemented by May (https://courts.michigan.gov/News-Events/press_releases/Documents/Media Release Cell Phone Order FINAL.pdf).
Some federal courthouses do not permit anyone to possess cellphones inside - not even attorneys.

Cell phones have infiltrated (for better or worse) every area of our lives.
Yes, unfortunately. I remember I paid a lot of money for my first cell phone back in the early 90's in order to get a feature that enabled the phone to vibrate rather than ring because I noticed that anyone who used a cell phone on the street was stared at by everyone as if they were a space alien. Whenever I had to use it I would duck into doorways to hide from public view. The world has certainly changed quite a bit since then and I'm not convinced that it's for the better.

Just Blue

Some federal courthouses do not permit anyone to possess cellphones inside - not even attorneys.

Yes, unfortunately. I remember I paid a lot of money for my first cell phone back in the early 90's in order to get a feature that enabled the phone to vibrate rather than ring because I noticed that anyone who used a cell phone on the street was stared at by everyone as if they were a space alien. Whenever I had to use it I would duck into doorways to hide from public view. The world has certainly changed quite a bit since then and I'm not convinced that it's for the better.
I remember when ear buds were first used....I would see someone apparently talking to themselves and would cross the street.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">