• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ceasing CS payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My daughter is 20 years old, she is a full time college student, and resides with her mother. Currently, I pay 1300.00 per month in CS, 100% of her college tuition after financial aid & grant deductions, carry her on my health insurance & cell phone plan, and help her with additional expenses when Im able. I am current on CS, have never been late or not paid in 18 years.

No problem on my end, however, my daughter and her mothers relationship is very volatile and my daughter wants to move out into her own place. I will gladly continue to support my daughter wherever she chooses to live (rent/living expenses/tuition etc.) until she graduates and is able to fully support herself. My questions: 1. Does my daughter need to emancipate herself before moving out. 2. Do I need to go to court to stop CS payments to her mother?

Thanks for your time

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential