• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ceiling collapse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jmill

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
Last year the AC unit in the attic began leaking and needed to be replaced. It had begun leaking through the floor and warped the plaster of the ceiling in my daughter’s room. The landlord’s contractor patched it and assured there was no issue. That was the end of the summer. The water spot on the ceiling returned and the contractor came out again and said it is fine. We turned on the AC and the ceiling in my daughter’s room began leaking and collapsed at 1am. What is my recourse and best course of action? We have texts warning of the ceiling back to last year

LdiJ

Last year the AC unit in the attic began leaking and needed to be replaced. It had begun leaking through the floor and warped the plaster of the ceiling in my daughter’s room. The landlord’s contractor patched it and assured there was no issue. That was the end of the summer. The water spot on the ceiling returned and the contractor came out again and said it is fine. We turned on the AC and the ceiling in my daughter’s room began leaking and collapsed at 1am. What is my recourse and best course of action? We have texts warning of the ceiling back to last year
Was anyone hurt?

LdiJ

I am glad to hear that! Now, your first step is to have a frank discussion with your landlord. You need to express your dismay and how lucky it was that your daughter wasn't seriously injured. Whether or not there will be any action that you can take, depends on how quickly (and thoroughly) your landlord fixes the problem.

Your damages, right now, on a legal basis, are limited to the loss of the use of the space, and any property damage you may have as a result of the ceiling coming down. All you can really ask for at this point is a rent credit for loss of use of the space and reimbursement for damaged property. Anything further will depend on what he does from here.

Just Blue

Call the LL and let them know what happened. LL will fix the issue.

LL is an idiot for not fixing the problem before...now it will cost him a lot more money.

Jmill

I am glad to hear that! Now, your first step is to have a frank discussion with your landlord. You need to express your dismay and how lucky it was that your daughter wasn't seriously injured. Whether or not there will be any action that you can take, depends on how quickly (and thoroughly) your landlord fixes the problem.

Your damages, right now, on a legal basis, are limited to the loss of the use of the space, and any property damage you may have as a result of the ceiling coming down. All you can really ask for at this point is a rent credit for loss of use of the space and reimbursement for damaged property. Anything further will depend on what he does from here.
Thank you very much. I am operating on the idea that this will be taken care of promptly and correctly. I just want to be prepared in case it becomes unnecessarily difficult.

FarmerJ

Did you call your city -county building inspections desk ? first do so and ask if the landlord must have a permit to make this repair ? then if the landlord has not started repairs yet then tell inspections just that and you would like them to come out and take a look at it even if it means that room were to be condemned from use.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">