• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cellular Phone Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klove

I need some advise on a very distressing situation. My son went to college in an area of Georgia which is out of the "local" calling area for my cellphone (that he uses). I called to cancel the service and was going to get him a local number or some type of statewide plan. I was told I had to come sign a form and give a 30 day notice. I stupidly decided to let him keep the phone for those 30 days and after it was turned off we'd get another number in that calling area. Well, I lost track of time and recently started thinking "they should have turned that phone off by now. I'm certain it must have been 30 days by now". In addition, I began to wonder why the bill hadn't come in. I remarked to a friend "I'll bet that phone bill is going to be $200". Well, to my shock, I received a bill last Thursday for $517. The majority of the bill was for calls less than a minute when he checked his voice mail. I wasn't aware that all the roaming charges were applied when he simply checked his voice mail. I called the company on Monday, 12-4 and they assured me the phone had been turned off on 12-1. This has turned out not to be true, though, as the phone is still in service today. Yesterday, I received another bill with a new total of over $1300. After reviewing the two bills that I received in less than a weeks time, there is a message printed on them apologizing for the bills being late because they went to a new billing system. My contention is that, had I received the October bill on time, I would have gone ahead and had the phone re-programmed with a service in the local area. However, since I was unaware that the charges were so astronomical, I saw no need to have "overlapping" services. My question is: Is my argument valid? Does the company have some sort of responsibility to bill (notify) me in a timely manner of the charges being incurred? If I decide to stand my ground and refuse to pay for anything after the first $517 (which I understand I owe) on the grounds that I wasn't given the timely notice of the charges?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">