• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change Child's Last name on Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lexxi

My son's father and I did not marry and when my son was born my mother and my son's father pressured me for days to give my son his fathers last name. I finally signed the papers after 5 days of thinking. It has bothered me from day one that my son does not have my name also. I would like to add my last name to my son's current last name. That way he would have his dad's and my last name. I went to the social security office and was able to add my name to his and received a new card. I know I need to change the birth certificate and I am not sure how to do this. My son's father is adament that he has his last name only. He does not want my name to be added. I am raising my son by myself and I feel it is important that he has my name also. I have always felt that If I married I would not change my last name as it takes away your identity. I want my son to have my identity as well as his fathers. My son is 4 years old. Can you please advise me what to do? I live in NY State. I have been to court to set up custody (joint), support, visitation etc. (My son's father and I have not been together for 2 years but have a pretty good relationship) We do not agree on the last name issue though!

D

D. D. Lessenberry

Go to the courthouse, town hall, or whatever handles legal situations in your area and ask for forms for a petition for name change.

I don't know if biodad can object; hope a lawyer will jump in

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">