• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change from Hourly to Salaried

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

caprice

My employer stated during my annual review (given 8 months late) that beginning in 1 week I would be an exempt (salaried) employee instead of paid hourly. He did not think there would be any adjustment to my salary, but I would be expected to work 40, 50, 60 or maybe even 70 hours in a week if that is what is needed to complete my work. I told him I disagreed with the salary amount not changing, since my overtime pay last year was over $10,000. He said he would check and let me know before the effective date. That was on 10/4 (effective 10/11). It is now 10/24 and still no word. Is this legal? Can my employer make this arbitrary decision without my agreeing to it?

A

Attorney_Replogle

Caprice, you need to find an attorney handling labor law matters. Use this site's attorney listings. In general employers can redisignate employee positions consistent with business necessity, which sounds like what happened in your case. What you have said does not seem to evidence any discrimination. However, check with an IL labor lawyer to be sure.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">