• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing locks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can they be changed? Yes. However, your son should not assume that clause allows him to circumvent the eviction laws without a written statement of opinion from a local landlord-tenant attorney. In other words, just because the lease says that doesn't necessarily mean it's enforceable.

That's the rub. Unless Illinois law is quite unusual in this regard, this isn't likely something your son can legally do.
Or, even Ohio law. ;)

LdiJ

I realize I can't hold it against her...but, I have never seen anything like this.; and this is not my first rodeo. I have seen a lot of conditions!. This is representative of a hoarder. These are not boxes that have been packed for moving.....this is stuff in every single room, on every piece of furniture on every square foot of floor space..... including the garage. Mind you, this is one person in a 6 room apartment with a garage. They have never been unpacked from a year ago....and have only continued to grow. But, as long as it is left clean...I'm good.
But, my biggest concern for my son, is that he is unable to show the apartment, due to the condition it is in. So, he will most likely lose at least a months rent.
A landlord can never count on having one tenant move out and another immediately move in. A landlord generally has to pretty much count on losing one months rent if for no other reason than generally some maintenance needs to be done between tenants...and not necessarily maintenance that would require the previous tenant to pay for from their deposit.

He should be painting every couple of years, and replacing the carpeting every 5-7 years, and doing other small wear and tear repairs as well. All things that the tenants would not be responsible for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">