• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing name after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

Im glad you responded here because I can’t respond anymore on the other.

is it the county clerk that I call to see about getting that motion done to keep the name?

I am a bit worried because if I can’t get to the social security office in the next 2 days it might be awhile.. because the social security office hours are during my hours and I won’t be able to take time off right away. I don’t have the decree yet though. I could probably go pick one up there if I needed to right? Also what if I’m able to submit for the new SS card on Friday. Would I still fill everything out as my married name? Until I get the physical card and change it with the BMV?
Should I notify my new employer that this is happening? Or is it okay to wait until then to bring it up? I just don’t want to jeopardize this job at all. Because I’ve been looking for awhile.
The other site has a 5 post a day "rule" for very new members...they do that to help prevent trolling/spamming.

quincy

I went ahead and reached out to HR and they were very understanding. My name won't be fully changed before I start. She told me to continue using my married name until I receive my new ID and SS card and I won't be able to submit for my SS card until next week after I've officially started. So it will work out.
All the SSA says is that it is preferred that the court documents used for changing your name are not over two years old. If you wait two years or more to file for a name change, in other words, there can be more hoops for you to jump through.

And of course, if you decide to keep your married name after all, you won’t have to worry about any other changes. You can keep your social security, driver’s license, etc., the same.

The place for you to start, therefore, would be with the court to get the decree amended, so you can reverse the recent legal change of your name.

Good luck with your new job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">